Intense Sniper XC / Clydesdale Question

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NTX

by NTX

Any Clydesdales with experience on the Intense Sniper XC? I'm above the stated 215 limit but wondering if it would be a definite no go or if I ride with some finesse I'd be ok. The Sniper caught my attention but other XC / light trail bike recommendations would also be welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

lighter weight friends have tried the Sniper & found it fairly flexy compared to other xc fs bikes. i definately recommend a demo test ride before buying

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'd go with the Sniper T and throw the XC (165x40mm) shock on it.

I have an XC. I love it. Not the bike for a guy who weighs 60lbs more than me, though. The T has a beefier rear triangle.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

I second that, I don't know why you'd want to look at the pure XC option. Aside from the frame durability you'll just be overwhelming the suspension. The extra 20mm travel from a Sniper T or similar bike would surely be a better package for you.

NTX

by NTX

LeDuke wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:03 am

I have an XC. I love it. Not the bike for a guy who weighs 60lbs more than me, though. The T has a beefier rear triangle.
Just curious, what's your weight?

When you say go with the T and swap to the XC shock is this because of the brace that's on the T? I think I've seen some add the brace on the XC. What year is your bike.

NTX

by NTX

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 pm
I second that, I don't know why you'd want to look at the pure XC option. Aside from the frame durability you'll just be overwhelming the suspension. The extra 20mm travel from a Sniper T or similar bike would surely be a better package for you.
Not sure about overwhelming the suspension. The Sniper XC owners manual show Fox set up for weights approaching 300 pounds which I'm nowhere close to. My concern is if the frame has a lot of flex.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

NTX wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:03 am

Just curious, what's your weight?

When you say go with the T and swap to the XC shock is this because of the brace that's on the T? I think I've seen some add the brace on the XC. What year is your bike.
I’m 65kg/143lbs.

The rear triangle on the T has an additional carbon vertical strut that makes the left side mirror the right. This is readily apparent if you look at pictures of the two.

I’m saying you can get a stiffer frame (T) and go with a shorter stroke shock (XC) to get a racier feel.

I’m about to pick up a 45mm stroke shock for my XC for longer rides where comfort becomes a bit more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com