Sram GX AXS

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRich

by TheRich

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm
Price point will be interesting. I still don't see any real advantage to electronic shifting for my use but if it's cheap enough I might give it go
Same, I won't buy a road bike with mechanical shifting but it's just not a big deal on a (1x) MTB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

XCProMD wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 am
gSporco wrote:It's possible since just about every cycling vlogger has said they think mid tier electronic Groupset will be possible in 2021 such 105, rival so why not the same for MTB bringing affordable e-groupsets
“they think”

Then when you do the numbers it turns out the mechatronics to convert a 105 rear derailleur into a Di2unit cost 7 times as much as the mechanical parts. 11 times for the FD.

The price difference between 105 and Ultegra or GX and X01 RDs come from parts like the inner link and the cage being stamped steel sheet instead of aluminium castings, surface treatments and coatings in some small bits... and then a lower margin overall that get compensated for in terms of contribution by the volume. That volume on the other hand helps paying part of the whole production set up for the top of the range product so there’s a hidden margin somewhere in large number product the likes of 105 and GX.

That volume/price magic disappears the moment you throw in the servo to make it electronic. Then the mechatronics govern the price of the whole thing and it is impossible to make for the cost difference you need to make the mid tier/top tier market differentiation work

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
This is practically verbatim what I was told by a friend who works for Shimano many years ago while having drinks at the end of an Interbike day. My question was when we'd see 105di2 and at the end he said it will require a massive price reduction in all the electronics, which would be too far in the future to predict. That was nearly 10 years ago so maybe those cheaper electronics are right around the corner.

P.S. I honestly don't care. On my bikes XX1 11spd works perfectly. I haven't had a problem or even remember a bad shift on several bikes going back to 2014. Those 2014 parts are still going strong on the Nomad. The only way to beat flawless performance is to reduce weight and Sram is NOT going in that direction with Eagle and now Super Eagle.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Its out, $600 €620 for the upgrade kit.

460g for the derailleur (oof)
85g more than xx1 (*corrected)
Last edited by robbosmans on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1llum4

by 1llum4

GX axs RD weight is with the battery while XX1/XO1 weight are without battery (23-26g) so actual weight difference is under 100g.

gSporco

by gSporco

My Xx1 AXS RD with battery weights 375g FWIW

Im curious, if the GX AXS controler will be cheaper and work with XX1
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

TheRich

by TheRich

I had no idea that mechanical XX1 pricing was considered "affordable."

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

gSporco wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:51 pm
My Xx1 AXS RD with battery weights 375g FWIW

Im curious, if the GX AXS controler will be cheaper and work with XX1
The shifter is 68gms per bikerumor, and the RD is 453gms with battery but without the optional 10gm battery protector. So that's about +100gms on GX mechanical for those 2 parts, add in cable housing and you're looking at a similar weight I guess
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

TheRich

by TheRich

Good on them for the battery cage though...that's a great option to have.

gSporco

by gSporco

TheRich wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:21 pm
Good on them for the battery cage though...that's a great option to have.
Yeah funny they do that now. Gen 1 Sram Red eTap had some battery disconnect issues. With AXS road/MTB the retaining clip is stronger. But the new cover/ protector is even nicer for the ruff stuff
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

mcjonesy

by mcjonesy

Just need to wait for Rival AXS shifters and possible to have a "budget" mullet for my gravel bike, not super WW focused for that bike

poynt

by poynt

best deal I've seen so far, as was before when XX1 first came out as an upgrade kit is €520.

prebsy

by prebsy

Definitely more excited about electronics coming to this price point than the product itself. Considering how much stuff they have to keep the same on electronic components vs mechanical I was really suprised with the $600 tag. Outside of a stamped steel cage and bearings any idea how they are getting the pricepoint down so much? Or is it more about time and electronic shifting prices are coming down?

gSporco

by gSporco

prebsy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 pm
Definitely more excited about electronics coming to this price point than the product itself. Considering how much stuff they have to keep the same on electronic components vs mechanical I was really suprised with the $600 tag. Outside of a stamped steel cage and bearings any idea how they are getting the pricepoint down so much? Or is it more about time and electronic shifting prices are coming down?
I think the price has come down because:
1. The manufacturing process is established and the tooling is probably the same on the XX1, X01 and the GX. All that's different is graphics, cages and wheels

2. RD investment has most likely seen returns since the xx series has been on the market for 2 plus years
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

mcjonesy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 pm
Just need to wait for Rival AXS shifters and possible to have a "budget" mullet for my gravel bike, not super WW focused for that bike
gx axs rd is optimised for 10-52 cassette, is it a little too much for gravel?
'