Scott Spark Twinlock - worth the weight penalty?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

docdavo

by docdavo

Hi Guys

I have a Scott spark frame that I've bought, and need new rear shock and forks. My question to any Spark riders is; is the twin lock system worth the weight penalty over, for instance the new SID ult sl and SIDluxe? Does the traction mode offer something that's worth the 1/2lb penalty vs the new SID setup

Noticed the Scott spark team riders all ride a black box 3 pos damper and NINOis also running the 120mm fork, does anyone know if that's due to the rigidity or slackening the head angle due to reduced offset, is it just choice?

Thanks

Dave

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

Yes... I like my twinloc and use it a lot (Scott Spark RC 2020). Think the choice of Nino depends on the course. The 2021 Spark RC is 110/100 mm.
Lars K. P.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Nino's running a 110mm fork. 120mm in the rear.

I'd say yes; the Spark doesn't have a particularly great amount of anti-squat, compared to some other bikes.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -2017.html

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm guessing Spark RC?

I think it depends on how you ride. When I'm on my home trails i love smashing up every little rise out of the saddle and working that twinloc for all it's worth. If that doesn't sound like you than just get the best suspension.

Indyx

by Indyx

I use the twinloc all the time. When I first got the bike I was annoyed it had the extra cables running for the twin loc. Grew to love it, run the middle setting often for flat sections and bumpy climbs.

kytyree

by kytyree

It takes some getting used to but I do like it. I'm still working on being as proficient with it as I want to be, with a dropper and shifting it gets to be plenty to keep track of (and it's not the easiest thing to combine with a dropper). But I've ridden it enough that I do see a difference between the modes. The full lock out is plenty obvious of course, but I do like going between all three. And if sometimes I don't feel like fooling with it and just want to ride picking the most appropriate one and not changing it works fine.

I'm not sure I'll ever reach Nino's level of hitting it 160 times in about 4km like they show on the Scott website, but I am trying to take advantage of it more. I do find it kinda fun to be able to change the bike around with it.

It makes enough of a difference in the ride that I'll admit I didn't really understand it at first. But riding and messing around with it I noticed enough of a difference that I realized I either had it setup wrong (it was right) or I didn't fully understand it, winner. If I'd realized what the intention of it was I'd have read up on it sooner.

I notice the feel of the rear the most between open and traction but the overall handling of the bike is different too.

I've got AXS on my bike and it did cross my mind how much cleaner it would be without it, but it's grown on me as I've used it more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com