New Scalpel SE - DUB Cranks

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

danielbahia

by danielbahia

Dear guys,

I'm just finishing my new bike, a light Trail Scalpel SE 2021, with some upgrades to get it lighter and faster for XCM races.

However I'm facing an issue with my Quarq DUB Crankset. I know I should use the assimetric DUB spindle, but I was able to assemble my standard DUB version, only removing the preload adjuster. The distances have been ok and I found no "play" on crank move.

Do you see any risk using that or any experience or recommendation?

BTW, 10,6kg as in the picture! :beerchug:

Thanks

Daniel
Attachments
IMG_5823[1].JPG
FHJU9909[1].JPG

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Hi there,

On Cannondale Ai frames, the drivetrain is offset 6 mm to the right. To accomplish the correct chainline, you need AI-specific chainwheels with that same 6 mm offset. If not, you chainline would be 6 mm off to the left, causing crossed-chain problems in the big gears (= small cogs). Cranks and spindles are standard as far as I know, so, you just need a specific chainwheel. https://cannondale.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... tegration-

Hope this helps. Sick bike, btw. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stringbean

by stringbean

How is the, crank holding up?Just done the same with my scalpel but had a dub boost crank.
Had to take off the preload adjuster and throw in a couple of small spacers but all seems to be good.
Time will tell

Porschenut

by Porschenut

I like this thread because I'm a real dummy when it comes to Bottom Brackets, axles and 1x drivetrains and I've been having a really hard time trying to figure how this stuff works. I would like to get a budget AI weight weenie crankset for my 2019 Cannondale F-Si Carbon 4.

Can anybody suggest a value conscious crankset? I don't have a ton of money to spend so I like to shop around and target deals or used. My bike comes with a Truvativ Stylo alloy crankset and I assume it's really heavy. My bike is a hair below 23 lbs (around 10,400g) and a carbon crankset should get me a long way towards my 22lbs target (9,988g).

So far all I can figure out (from reading various threads here and other sources online), is that I can get a used Hollowgram crankset (because they're really light for alloy and also plentiful) and buy a matching bottom bracket or axle or something along those lines. When I search eBay for "Ai carbon crankset" I only see the occasional very expensive option that I can't afford.

After reading de lars cuevas's post above, I'm thinking I can buy any used carbon Dub Boost crankset and just get a 6mm offset chainring? I didn't know it could be that easy. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

grover

by grover

You're kind of right.

For a Cannondale crankset you are correct. The Ai offset is in the chainring. Bottom bracket spindle length is the same as non-Ai.

For a SRAM crankset you are not correct for current generation options. The Ai offset is in the additional spindle length. You need an Ai specific crankset. It's confusing because their chainring for a standard (49mm) chainline happens to be 6mm offset inboard. So to get a 55mm chainline what you need is 0mm offset, which they don't make to suit Eagle.

They did make it for 11 speed, and some aftermarket companies also make them. So if you hunt around for a 0mm offset SRAM chainring, otherwise referred to as for 'narrow spindle bb30', you will be able to use that on a current model crankset that is not Ai specific to get an Ai chainline.

Porschenut

by Porschenut

Thanks Grover. You answered so many of my unresolved questions!

So I'm now assuming that I can just...
a) piece together a Hollowgram setup with any used Hollowgram crank arms, a Hollowgram mtb axle and a Hollowgram AI 6mm offest chainring or;
b) Get any Sram Eagle crankset (with integrated axle) and then source a 0 offset chainring (11 or 12 speed). I'm assuming that all Sram Eagle axle widths are the same since my BB knowledge is old school and I'm only familiar with 68/73mm English threaded. I'll not find much luck finding a used carbon AI specific crankset so that's probably not an option.

I guess my next questions would be...which setup is going to be lighter? Which set-up would be more economical?

Thanks!

sigma

by sigma

Great build. I just located a scalpel se ltd in my size, so I will be grabbing it soon. Would you mind sharing your build details? if I can lighten it up a bit, I will dual purpose it for some racing too in addition to training and having fun. I am thinking about repurposing my SISL2 from an old road bike, so interested to see how you go with the Hollogram setup.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

grover

by grover

For reference the user manuel supplement.
https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/file ... pel_EN.pdf
For SISL2 use from old road bike just order the spindle, spacers and chainring using part numbers from that manual.

CamW

by CamW

grover wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:28 pm
They did make it for 11 speed, and some aftermarket companies also make them. So if you hunt around for a 0mm offset SRAM chainring, otherwise referred to as for 'narrow spindle bb30', you will be able to use that on a current model crankset that is not Ai specific to get an Ai chainline.
https://www.garbaruk.com/bb30-short-spi ... category=1

danielbahia

by danielbahia

sigma wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:37 pm
Great build. I just located a scalpel se ltd in my size, so I will be grabbing it soon. Would you mind sharing your build details? if I can lighten it up a bit, I will dual purpose it for some racing too in addition to training and having fun. I am thinking about repurposing my SISL2 from an old road bike, so interested to see how you go with the Hollogram setup.
Hi Sigma,

Cannondale Scalpel SE 1 (SID Select+/SIDLuxe)
Sram Eagle AXS with Quarq Powermeter
AXS Reverb dropper (update from this pic)
Biturbo RS wheelset
SPZ Power Sworks Seatpost
MCFK Stem/bar set
Xpedo CXR pedals

danielbahia

by danielbahia

de lars cuevas wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:05 pm
Hi there,

On Cannondale Ai frames, the drivetrain is offset 6 mm to the right. To accomplish the correct chainline, you need AI-specific chainwheels with that same 6 mm offset. If not, you chainline would be 6 mm off to the left, causing crossed-chain problems in the big gears (= small cogs). Cranks and spindles are standard as far as I know, so, you just need a specific chainwheel. https://cannondale.zendesk.com/hc/en-us ... tegration-

Hope this helps. Sick bike, btw. :D
It should be ok with ordinary Sram cranks but Quarq is a particualr issue, as they don't have an Ai version. A friend of mine boutght two cranks (Quarq DUB and SRAM Eagle Ai Dub) to switch the left arms... A kind of investment I wouldn't like to do... :D :D So far is working fine without issues on smaller cogs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Porschenut wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:23 pm
I like this thread because I'm a real dummy when it comes to Bottom Brackets, axles and 1x drivetrains and I've been having a really hard time trying to figure how this stuff works. I would like to get a budget AI weight weenie crankset for my 2019 Cannondale F-Si Carbon 4.
Tell me about it. I had to go and read this and then this to play catch up because things were getting too ridiculous. :oops:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.