Light dropper posts and levers compatible with remote lockout in 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grover

by grover

As we get near to 2021 what is the current state for light dropper posts?

For the post, I'm tossing up between
- Bike Yoke Divine SL
- 9point8 Fall Line R
Any experience? What else are people looking at?

For the lever, what are the options to combine dropper post and remote lockout?
- Bontrager DropLock (two position suspension)
- Scott Twinloc (three position suspension)
- Orbea Squidloc (three position suspension)

I'm on a Scalpel (two position suspension) so I think I'm off to order a Bontrager DropLock.

rapsac

by rapsac

For the amount of drop, Vecnum posts are amongst the lightest available. Also finished to a very high standard, incl the remote lever offered.
My Divine SL creaked at the bolt/saddle clamp interface, but this may be due to saddle rail thickness and subsequent bolt angle. Apart from this a very nice post. The Vecnum is a mechanical post and it makes a bit more noise/ a bit less smooth than the Divine SL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

I'm a big fan of the RockShox Twistloc...easy to use and doesn't interfere with dropper levers.

grover

by grover

Good point @TheRich. Brilliant concept. I love twisters! Glad you've had good luck with them. I've had two fail. The first wouldn't 'hold' in the locked position. SRAM replaced it quickly under warranty. The second would continually rotate on the bars despite use of friction paste and max torque spec on the bolt. Then I went above torque spec and stripped it...

I modded the one that wouldn't hold to not engage at all and be a dropper post remote (in conjunction with Fox trigger remote for suspension). The twist motion wasn't friendly to the timing of when I was using the dropper post though.

I've purchased a BikeYoke Divine SL and Bontrager DropLock so I'll report back.

Moshroom

by Moshroom

I have a 9point8 fall line r and it's been stellar. Very strong return action, sometimes too strong if you know what I mean:). Has very slight side to side play, but less than most droppers I've seen. From what I can tell stock apples to apples a 75mm 9point8 is more than 60gr lighter than an 80mm divine sl. Although with trimming the divine can lose 30gr. Heard real good things about the divine too.

Kristinka

by Kristinka

I use Bike Yoke Divine SL 31,6mm. Very satisfied with the function during the last season. No play after several months of use. As i did not need such a lenghty seat post I shortened it. Attached, I am sending the pictures of the Divine SL unshortened and also the cut seat mast piece on the scale. I use this dropper w/ Orbea Squidlock.
Attachments
cut seatmast tube piece
cut seatmast tube piece
BikeYoke Divine SL 31,6mm shortened w/ Selle Italia SLR Boost carbon sadle
BikeYoke Divine SL 31,6mm shortened w/ Selle Italia SLR Boost carbon sadle
the original lenght, 31,6mm
the original lenght, 31,6mm
the Orbea Squid lock remote w/ dropper
the Orbea Squid lock remote w/ dropper

Aeo

by Aeo

I'm on a Vecnum Nivo, going to get a Bontrager DropLock now that it is coming back into stock.

This is the goal: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/orbea-o ... t-16857376
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

TheRich wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:12 pm
I'm a big fan of the RockShox Twistloc...easy to use and doesn't interfere with dropper levers.
This right here is the best option in my opinion. I'm running my old xc bike with sram twistloc. Absolutely love it. I just picked up a scalpel World Cup fitted with the Fox lockout remote. Its okay now because I'm not running a dropper but I'm not a fan. I will swap the remotes as the scalpel is my new race bike and my orbea will be my trail bike. In my opinion if you have a two position lockout, there's no reason to not run the sram twistloc, especially if your bike is fitted with a dropper

Chavis0304

by Chavis0304

grover wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:18 am
Good point @TheRich. Brilliant concept. I love twisters! Glad you've had good luck with them. I've had two fail. The first wouldn't 'hold' in the locked position. SRAM replaced it quickly under warranty. The second would continually rotate on the bars despite use of friction paste and max torque spec on the bolt. Then I went above torque spec and stripped it...

I modded the one that wouldn't hold to not engage at all and be a dropper post remote (in conjunction with Fox trigger remote for suspension). The twist motion wasn't friendly to the timing of when I was using the dropper post though.

I've purchased a BikeYoke Divine SL and Bontrager DropLock so I'll report back.
I had the first problem with my first twistloc, when it was installed the screw on the underside was turned by the mechanic thinking it was to help hold the twistloc to the bar. When I was in snowshoe for the World Cup race I talked to the sram guys and they said that screw should never be touched, it is actually for adjustment of holding the remote in the locked position. They gave me a brand new lockout free of charge right on the spot. The new ones don't allow access to that particular screw. It is filled with a clear silicone to prevent people from turning it. A couple thousand miles later and zero problems with the new unit. Never had any issues with it spinning on the bars. Aluminum bars though so curious now as to how it will hold on carbon bars. Although most of the riders bikes I saw at the World Cup were running the twistloc remote on carbon bars.

bosshmic

by bosshmic

adding here, looking for a 125-150 mm dropper post for a lightweight Trail /Downcountry bike. any reccomedations given another half year passed since the last posts here?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Pretty sure 9point8 is still the lightest 125 dropper available; at least the lightest that doesn't suck.

Attermann

by Attermann

That saddle mount looks ridiculously over made, instead of just some simple mount that that presses up/down, those sideways are always awful.

viodetribo

by viodetribo

I have had a 9point8 fall line r for a while, and I like it. Pretty sure its the lightest thing you'll find. the mount looks a bit overmade, but in practice it looks alright with a saddle on it and i really like how you can take the mount off without removing the saddle. This allows you to service the post/add or remove pressure without messing up the fore aft adjustment and just redoing the tilt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com