SUPERCALIBER BUILD 10kg - BikeYoke, XTR, LB, DT180, Syntace

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

NEW BUILD THREAD!! 10.2kgs as pictured. Biggest weight penalties were the dropper post and SMP saddle. With racier options, itd be ~9.8ish kgs. Size Large. I really enjoyed the build but %#^$%$ this is not the easiest bike to work on between the knockblock, cabling and shock. It took a good while to figure out the tricks around getting the shock in and out swiftly. And the internal cable routing is fully open. Good for weight, not for speed. I’ve got comments on the photos below. Let me know if you have any questions.

MORE COMPLETE BUILD PICS AT VERY BOTTOM

pretty clever little laminated sag card Trek includes. Has pressure table on the back.

GIANT?! Right on the box. Honestly, I was NOT very impressed with some of the carbon finishing compared to recent builds of Parlee, Scott, and Specialized frames. I expected more from Giant (and Trek). Especially at this pricepoint. O well. The frame IS very stiff and very beefy. The newer Spesh mtbs seem to be on the flexier side.

a lot of dry fibers inside the bb shell. Not enough resin. And the edges of the bb interface are VERY rough.

backside of the toptube is pretty interesting though. Very thick obviously.

total frame weight. ~2100g. size large. Too much for 60mm of travel. Like I said, does look pretty durable and stiff though. We will see.

this is the weight of the FRONT triangle. More than an ENTIRE Epic HT frame LOL.

weight of the REAR triangle WITH shock assembly.

TOTAL shock weight

weight of the strut itself

weight of the damper assembly that goes into the strut. Its nice to see it’s really not that proprietary. Should be plenty reliable. This is NOT a light shock however lol, but very well supported. There are two MASSIVE fork bushings inside of the rear frame strut housing. That said, one was VERY tight. Poor tolerances from Fox. I had to spend a lot of time trying to burnish the bushing in to remove stiction. I really need a burnishing tool, but don’t have one.

gratuitous exploded view of shock. Unfortunately, it looks like the damper assemblies themselves are NOT available separate from the strut housing.

closeup shot of the damper

I tried to remove the lockout assembly, since this is a “push to lock” shock. However, what I didn’t realize is that even at rest in stock state, the dial shaft is under spring load, keeping the cam on the shaft down, depressing the shaft that operates the compression piston lockout. There’s a physical “stop” on the lockout pulley bracket that keeps the pulley under tension even before the remote lockout lever is pushed to lock out the shock. Long story short, after removing the bracket to save weight and trying to set my sag I thought something was wrong with the damper because it was wayyy stiff. I finally realized I had to go back and re-install the cable-stop bracket. Problem solved. Damper open.

Went through the Sid ultimate SL fork when I got it just for good measure. It was pretty well lubed, which is good to see (unlike Trek’s frame hardware). I noticed theres a hefty bumper on the air shaft. My Lyrik doesn’t have one.

RANDOM PARTS

Really trick BBInfinite Bottom Bracket. Comes with proprietary 40x30x10 bearings for good support of 29mm dub cranks in this tiny BB92 shell. By the way TREKS BB TOLERANCES $%^$%^ SUCK. 40.8mm ID shell on a spec of 41. Trek CS told me it was “in spec”. Turns out, its really not. This thing fit REALLY tight and I’d wished I would have honed the shell myself (I usually do), but didn’t this time against my better judgement. I’m going to have to use a hacksaw to remove this bottom bracket. FIX YOUR TOLERANCES TREK/GIANT!

LightBicycle XC925 rims. It is my opinion that LB now makes some of the best rims in the world. These are with the standard, non-Flyweight layup.

DT180 EXP hub weights

Front wheel weight. Rear is just 100g more. 28h on Aerolite.

Frame bag. PLENTY of room for two bottles and the same framebag I use on my Ripmo. Very cool.

Gratuitous pic of Ti bolt collection

Wolftooth low-profile Ti bottle cage bolts

Ti countersunk bolts for Knockblock chip and cable bosses

Hi-grade shock mount hardware from Pro-Bolt

Heavy ass stock seatpost clamp

Replacement from R2-Bike. It’s dead on at 36.4mm and Trek’s paint around the seattube is THICCC. Seat tube measured at 36.6. THANKS TREK. Sooo the included bolt didn’t work. I have to take a longer one and cut it down. When I have time, I’m going to have to Dremel around the seattube collar to remove some of the paint.

Knockblock stem adapter. Barely works. Have to cinch it down WAY past the spec’d 2NM to keep it from slipping. I also took a file and honed the ID of the clamp for a bit more bite. Garbage.

REALLY trick TrickStuff in-line +20mm post-mount brake adapters for the front.

Cutting brake pads…I wanted to run these Swiss Stop pads intended to fit the direct mount road calipers and a couple of the heatsink fins hit the hose port soooo….

Decided to not use the control freak cable guides and just run all three cables/hose on one side of the bike…

Last edited by FactoryMatt on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Pretty trick. Why did you choose to use the wolftooth remote over the lighter triggy that comes with the dropper?

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 am
Pretty trick. Why did you choose to use the wolftooth remote over the lighter triggy that comes with the dropper?
thanks! i just like the design a little better. the lever rides on a big bearing and the lever itself slides laterally to dial in the position. additionally, wolftooth makes I-spec (& bell) mounts/adapters.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

First ride update...

This bike RIPS. It has no business being as good as it is. The rear damping is spot on. Plenty of low speed compression and more than enough high speed (which is a good thing at 60mm). the bike just goes; it’s incredibly efficient without beating you up. With the 69 deg head angle, its SUPER fun to throw into corners..it’s just so responsive. I’m so glad they didn’t follow the SLACK BRO fad with this thing. It descends fine and comes alive in the switchbacks and tighter corners. All in all, I’m extremely impressed with it. It truly is more than the sum of its parts.

damond

by damond

Giant is known for building high quality frames not only for itself but also for brands like Colnago, Scott, etc acording to their specifications and budget. Don't blame the maker, blame the client!

Nuno

by Nuno

Hi @FactoryMatt,
I have a couple questions on about your TREK build. For the rear brake rotor, I see that you do not need spacers for the calliper, as the frame is designed around 160mm rotor, but all other pictures I have seen on TREK website, I notice the bike comes with a 160mm rotor and a spacer/adaptator for the brake caliper... can you please confirm that.
Another question, the handlebar lockout you are using is just for the rear shock, right ?.

Cheers

Nuno

by Nuno

Hi @FactoryMatt,
I have a couple questions on about your TREK build. For the rear brake rotor, I see that you do not need spacers for the calliper, as the frame is designed around 160mm rotor, but all other pictures I have seen on TREK website, I notice the bike comes with a 160mm rotor and a spacer/adaptator for the brake caliper... can you please confirm that.
Another question, the handlebar lockout you are using is just for the rear shock, right ?.

Cheers

boots2000

by boots2000

Cool build- But it is a lot of work for not that mcuh wieght savings? But I guess that is what we do as weight weenines? )
I just built up a size M/L 2022 Supercaliber. It is mostly stock and weighs in at 10.5 kg. It is stock splatter painted eagle XX1- differences from stock build are 2.4 Aspen tires (heavier that stock), 9point8 fall line R dropper post with 125mm of travel, and Specialized Power Arc saddle. Pedals are H1 M1 Ti, cages are King Ti, computer mount is an out in front K-Edge that fits the Bontrager bar/stem, and also a mount for EDC pump.

hannawald

by hannawald

Nuno wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:16 pm
Hi @FactoryMatt,

Cheers
Size L is ready for 160mm without adapters, not sure about S size...
It seems he doesn't use lockouts at all, neither for the fork nor for the shock. Maybe he doesn't want all the cables or for the weight savings...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com