HT used as gravel bike, rigid fork recs?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

I am going to use my hardtail as a touring and gravel bike sometimes. I am interested in trying a rigid carbon fork, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. The bike is already 21.1lb with a Reba so I'd imagine I'll save a lot of weight no matter what. Is there anything out there that isn't sketch and doesn't cost $500+ or do I need to shell out for a high end fork?

joejack951

by joejack951

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

joejack951 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:05 am
This looks interesting: http://carverbikes.com/parts/forks/trail-490/
That one looks solid. I wonder if you can even buy one. Seems like it's impossible to buy anything these days.

joejack951

by joejack951

http://www.bikeman.com/CARV-FK490C-T11015.html

Shows in stock, but I know what you mean. I was looking for parts recently for a few bikes and was really surprised just how many items are out of stock on my go-to parts websites.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Not sure what wheel size for have but eXotic make some decent rigid forks, you see them on a lot of 26ers. Whiskey are also just about in your budget
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

zscs

by zscs

I used rigid forks for years, also for XCM racing. Started with an old On-One monoque carbon fork with 9QR dropouts, it was up to its name: was really rigid. :) Bought a Ritchey WCS carbon 29er fork (9QR also), that was an amazing fork! On small impacts, it moved back and forth a little bit, I started to enjoy racing with rigid fork with this one (shame there's no successor, e.g. with 15x110 BOOST axle). Then, I replaced to a Niner rigid fork (15x100mm axle). Was not that good decision... Very reliable fork basically, but too rigid and the dropouts not machined/manufactured precisely which comes out when you try to install the front wheel (okay, not a big issue but hey, this is not a cheap fork!)
Orbea's Spirit 29er fork (15x110mm) can be also a good alternative, you can buy it separately. And you can also buy an adapter to reduce 15x110mm BOOST to 15x100mm hubs as well. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this one. (Yet:))

spartacus

by spartacus

zscs wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 pm
I used rigid forks for years, also for XCM racing. Started with an old On-One monoque carbon fork with 9QR dropouts, it was up to its name: was really rigid. :) Bought a Ritchey WCS carbon 29er fork (9QR also), that was an amazing fork! On small impacts, it moved back and forth a little bit, I started to enjoy racing with rigid fork with this one (shame there's no successor, e.g. with 15x110 BOOST axle). Then, I replaced to a Niner rigid fork (15x100mm axle). Was not that good decision... Very reliable fork basically, but too rigid and the dropouts not machined/manufactured precisely which comes out when you try to install the front wheel (okay, not a big issue but hey, this is not a cheap fork!)
Orbea's Spirit 29er fork (15x110mm) can be also a good alternative, you can buy it separately. And you can also buy an adapter to reduce 15x110mm BOOST to 15x100mm hubs as well. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this one. (Yet:))
Thanks for the input. It seem like the prevailing thought is that a stiffer fork is better, but those of us that have ridden road bikes know that's not necessarily the case.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

To stay on a budget and if you have a tapered headset, you could consider a gravel fork from http://www.carbonda.com

They have mounts, can be painted and are sturdy.
In 12 or 15 x 100mm.
I ride a CFR505 gravel bike, beating it for years, and have built many for friends and family.

viragevitesse

by viragevitesse

20200202_163237.jpg
Here's my old XC race bike converted to gravel bike. 45mm tyres and carbon rigid fork from Curve Cycling in Australia. 100 x 15mm, bottle cage mounts, weighs around 600 grams. Saved a tonne of weight and given a whole new lease of life to an old bike.

spartacus

by spartacus

So I ended up getting a nice deal on a like new (hopefully) whisky no. 9 fork (the new one with the mounting holes on the side).

I think this and thunder burts should get my bike under 19lbs, we'll see!

The next question is should I add aero bars? Lol...

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Orbea has a new fork out.

Protsi

by Protsi

FactoryMatt wrote:Orbea has a new fork out.
My aluminum HT is 8.8kg with WISKEY 9Image

Protsi

by Protsi

Protsi wrote:
FactoryMatt wrote:Orbea has a new fork out.
My aluminum HT is 8.8kg with WISKEY 9Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spartacus

by spartacus

Looks good! The whiskey fork is really nice. I tried it for a while and went back to the shock though. To me it's with the weight penalty because it's that much more comfortable and I actually felt like I could go faster even up hill with the shock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Protsi

by Protsi

spartacus wrote:Looks good! The whiskey fork is really nice. I tried it for a while and went back to the shock though. To me it's with the weight penalty because it's that much more comfortable and I actually felt like I could go faster even up hill with the shock.
Is matter how I wake up. Image
But I like the rigid a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk