Shaving off more weight. Tips?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Primera23

by Primera23

Hi guys,

I made my introduction a few weeks back. link: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=163367

in short: I build/customized my bike quitte a lot already (in my humble opinion). But still looking for some savings. I have the feeling, I'm still missing some obvious points but I can't think of them. So any input is very welcome!

obvious weight saver would be the front suspension but I need one on my trails. So rigid carbon is a NO GO for me. All other tips would be under considiration. Also willing to spent some money but unfortanetly my pockets aren't bottomless :wink:

what I have:

Brand:Bergamont
Type: Revox Team (2018)
Starting weight without pedals: 9,6kg
Final weight incl pedals, sensors, mounts,... : 8,93kg

Breakdown of parts=
Frame: no specs or weight found
Fork: standard SID RLC boost = 1618g (google)
seatpost clamp: KCNC = 10g
Seatpost: Elita one carbon (ALI) 400mm 27.2 = 148g
Seat: Carbon saddle with leather "padding" (ALI) = 110g
Stem: Kalloy 110mm with titanium bolts (ALI) = 107g
Bar: Standard FL1.0 Carbon SL T-Bar= 180g (google)
Bartape: KCNC EVA grips= 14g
bottle cage and hardware: carbon (ALI) with alu bolts (ALI)= 20g
Outer Cables: standard
Inner Cables: standard
Brakes: SRAM level TLM = 356g (google)
Brake discs: Quaxar discs = 111g (incl bolts and CL to 6bolt adapter)
Front derailleur: None :D
Rear derailleur: XX1 eagle with JRC components jockey wheels
Crankset: XX1 eagle with left stages carbon powermeter
Chainrings: Absolute black oval 34T
Chain: KMC 12 speed = 243g (including 2g of chainwax :lol: )
Shifters: GX eagle (with carbon top cap I stole from my wifes bike, GX and XX1 parts are interchangeable)
Cassette: XX1 eagle = 362g
Wheels: Carbon wheels with custom decals around DT 350 hubs and DT spokes (ALI)= 1530g (EDIT= 1335g)
Inntertubes: None, tubeless set-up = 60g each (yes, I weighed it)
Tires: Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph
Pedals: X-pedo Titanium pedals= 108g each
Garmin mount with bell and GOPRO mount (ALI)= 40g (was 42g but drilled some holes in it)

Extra stuff:
- deleted a support for a chaincatcher and put sawed off alu bolts in its place
- replaced every bolt on the bike by titanium or alu(where safe); Headset, brakes, levers,...
- replaced front and rear axle by stealth type without lever
- carbon bar end caps
- carbon top cap and titanium bolt
- replaced rubber chainstay with carbon tape

That's about it I guess. Any insights are more than welcome!

Last edited by Primera23 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The biggest weight saving is probably going to be a RS Sid SL at 1277g w/o axle

And maybe a new handlebar like a Mt Zoom or a Procraft both at around 120g or less

If I where you I wouldn’t buy a kmc x12 in the future, they don’t last so you have to change your cassette more often than with a eagle chain, those last so much longer. And 12s cassettes are expensive so making them last can save you a lot of money

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

Agree that fork and bars are the next options.

You can cut 30% off the weight of your cables using something like this.
https://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduc ... ductid=432
Buy the Mt Zoom handlebar from there at the same time.

After that you're up for big expenditure. Your wheels aren't that light, could save 250grams there. Finally brakes. You've already done the rotors but there's a little more saving to be had in the caliper and lever with Level Ultimate/XTR/Magura MT8 or Trickstuff Piccola.

Primera23

by Primera23

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:44 pm

If I where you I wouldn’t buy a kmc x12 in the future, they don’t last so you have to change your cassette more often than with a eagle chain, those last so much longer. And 12s cassettes are expensive so making them last can save you a lot of money
Good tip about the chain. Actually didn't have any problems in shifting or wear. Like the gold look and the eagle chain is about 2 times as expensive. But if I can prolong the life of my cassette, it is definetely worth the cost.

Will look into the MT zoom bars aswell. No local Belgium sellers I guess?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Primera23 wrote:
robbosmans wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Good tip about the chain. Actually didn't have any problems in shifting or wear. Like the gold look and the eagle chain is about 2 times as expensive. But if I can prolong the life of my cassette, it is definetely worth the cost.

Will look into the MT zoom bars aswell. No local Belgium sellers I guess?
Mt Zoom is online only

02GF74

by 02GF74

Re. carbon top cap and titanium bolt

I use aluminium alloy bolt for the cap; it is the 2 stem bolts that do the work.

When fitting the stem, use a steel bolt to take up the slack in the bearings, do up the 2 stem bolts then replace the steel cap bolt by aluminium.

There is potential savings by getting lighter wheels but that won't be cheap - I think the frame, which you don't give a weight for, is holding you back.

Primera23

by Primera23

Thanks for the input!

Top cap bolt "trick" is indeed a small win.

wheels could be done but not cheap. Not that far from me there are some new Syncross silverton SL for sale. (you know, the ones made completely out of carbon). "Only" 3000 euro now :roll:

Frame is indeed a big unkown factor. Bought the bike in stock situtaion for 2500 incl a set of new DT 1501 wheels. crank, fork, saddle,... all new. Rest was used by my niece for a small year. So not that bad of a deal. Never bought with the intention do do some real weightweenie stuff. But you know hwo quickly that can change :D

I will keep the above mentioned tricks in mind and see if I can score some nice deals in the future.

Primera23

by Primera23

So I pulled the trigger and got myself a new SID ultimate SL :p

It put 1306g on the scales with full steerer, no axle and no star nut. Somehow about 23g heavier than another user on the forum. Not that big of a deal but would have been nice

Will be installing it today to see how much weight is actually saved with this fork. Next step for the bike would maybe be a new paintjob (or no paint if carbon looks nice). Not as much for the weight but to gain a more "neutral" or modern look. thinking something mostly black (or blank carbon) with blue details to match the SID. Will keep you guys posted.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Cutting the steerer will probably save the 20g

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Save your three thousand euros.
1290g is not that light by today's standards.
I mean some road wheelsets are down in the sub <800g range now.

And why did you steal your wife's XX1 carbon top cap? :x Give it back! :lol:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Primera23

by Primera23

The wheels are indeed way to expensive. Would also not be comfortable riding with them I fear.

I stole the cap because I like carbon. And she doesn't know :p She likes biking but doesn't care for material or anything. Got a set spare DT spline wheels but she doesn't want them because the red/grey decals don't match her blue bike. ;-)

Primera23

by Primera23

quick update:

Cutting the steerer saved indeed exactely 23gr ;-).
Total weight of bike now 8.73kg. Still have a Procraft handlebar and some extralite grips on it's way. Will only install both when KCNC grips start to have some wear. With those is should land around 8.65kg

Don't have much info about my frame weight. I managed to find a site which sold the succesor of my frame (identical) with the sid RLC. Combined weight was a claimed 3.1kg. My fork weighed roughly 1.6kg which would mean that frame itself would also be around 1.5kg. So as stated before here, the frame is holding me back. Now keeping my eyes open for a new "stealthy" frame that's around or less then 1kg. Already did some research but most frames have quitte a lot of flashy paint. Would prefer more a black or carbon neutral looking frame. Chinese frame would be option but can't find too many positive reaction that make me want to buy one. Radon has a nice looking frame but only possible in mustard yellowish. Who knew all manufacturers want to print their name super visible on their frames ;-)

Primera23

by Primera23

another quick update:

I was searching some stuff in my parents attic when I stumbled on a very slightly used/almost new frame. I can see it has been used but no damage or even scuffs on it. It's identical to mine but a medium instead of a small. It was tucked away behind boxes. My father knows I'm searching for a new frame M. So i'm kinda hoping/guessing this will be my christmas present ;-)

Being the weenie that I am, I quickly weighed it before hiding it again. result: 1,165kg. This is including very thick protective film on top and downtube. So now I know my S frame will be around 1,1kg. Not that light but also not the terrible 1,5kg I estimated before.

Naturally I'm now toying with the idea to completely strip this frame from it's paint so I will have a naked carbon bike. Would look great next to the blue fork. I could do this while still using my own frame, so no time pressure. Because frame is slightly bigger, I could reduce the stem lenght (now a "massive" 11cm), a new shorter seatpost could be placed and 1 stem spacer could be left out. All this under the assumption that I will receive the frame ofcourse :) fingers crossed :-D

Milese

by Milese

How well do those rotors work? I had a set that looked like that and they cooked very easily!

Primera23

by Primera23

Been riding them now for a year and a half and they do the trick very well. Maybe not as much bite as the original sram rotors but more than enough. I don't do very long descents, mostly shorter and steep. No issues. They only cost 12 euro or so, so very cheap and light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com