Shaving off more weight. Tips?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Primera23 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:40 am
quick update:

Cutting the steerer saved indeed exactely 23gr ;-).
Total weight of bike now 8.73kg. Still have a Procraft handlebar and some extralite grips on it's way. Will only install both when KCNC grips start to have some wear. With those is should land around 8.65kg

Don't have much info about my frame weight. I managed to find a site which sold the succesor of my frame (identical) with the sid RLC. Combined weight was a claimed 3.1kg. My fork weighed roughly 1.6kg which would mean that frame itself would also be around 1.5kg. So as stated before here, the frame is holding me back. Now keeping my eyes open for a new "stealthy" frame that's around or less then 1kg. Already did some research but most frames have quitte a lot of flashy paint. Would prefer more a black or carbon neutral looking frame. Chinese frame would be option but can't find too many positive reaction that make me want to buy one. Radon has a nice looking frame but only possible in mustard yellowish. Who knew all manufacturers want to print their name super visible on their frames ;-)
There's a thread with 9,000+ posts that is probably 99% positive over on MTBR.

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/chin ... 19-50.html

Probably an easy way to spend 400-500 Euro and lose 500g+.

Primera23

by Primera23

New update: got the frame. Unfortanetely there is a hair line fracture on the lower tube. Nonetheless this is an easy fix. I got rid of all the sticker, non essential bits and bolts, reworked the frame inserts,... Final weight of frame before paint stripping in 1.025kg. So not that bad actually. Plan is to get this frame repaired and sanded to carbon layer. I know there are lighter frames avaiable but this would be kind of a winter project to keep me busy. Ordered a new shorter stem from procraft to match my new handlebars. Just waiting on offers for carbon repair and I'm good to go.

Goal would be to land somewhere around 8.5kg all inclusive (pedals, schwalbe RARA RORO, garmin mount and sensor,...). Will keep you guys updated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelspeed

by wheelspeed

Well, your comment on those rotors being good enough for you due to short choppy terrain was interesting. That makes me think that you could go to an 11-speed cassette and save some weight. And maybe a smaller cluster in the back, and a 30-tooth chainring in front instead of your 34. Plus 11-speed is cheaper.

But that might be years down the road for you because you have that gorgeous XX1 cassette now so may as well rock that until it needs replacement.

Primera23

by Primera23

Bit of progress. I was sanding during the holidays and actually got quitte far. Tubes themself are not that hard to sand but all the cable entry points and tube crossings were a pain in the 455 ;-) So far, I have lost 50gr worth off paint. Biggest parts still to do so I estimate around 100gr total worth of paint.

Found a supplier that will repair and paint my frame once I'm done with the sanding. Goal would be to spray paint a small layer off black to get rid of small imperfections in the frame. Then some custom gloss black decals and finish with a matte clearcoat. After I get the frame back, I will start putting on all the new stuff. Very exited!!!
Last edited by Primera23 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maddie

by Maddie

Nice! Keep it going, the end result will be the reward for your work

02GF74

by 02GF74

I take it you removed the paint as you did not like the colour?

Why not leave it raw carbon, saves weight too?

jorisee01

by jorisee01

+1 for raw carbon!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

If you just pour some water over it you can see what it would look like if clearcoated, but just a lite black coat can look good too

Primera23

by Primera23

Paint removal was indeed mostly done because of the color. Don't really dislike it but it is not "timeless". end goal would be all bike in black and then as contrast the blue SID in it. Aso like skinwall tires but with current color scheme it is just too much. Weight loss would be a nice bonus :lol:

Raw carbon is indeed the end goal. But with the clearcoat they will add some black. There are some red stripes or shine in carbon and some "hard" contrasts between structure. The thin black spray would mask these. That way you will still have carbon look but the imperfections will be hidden.

Discussed also to remove cable entry/exit for front derrie. They will block this with carbon so that it wil be much cleaner than the current blind plates I have to bolt. But this is to be confirmed when they have the frame. All in all it would be 350-400 euro to repair and paint. I find this reasonable.

PS: any tips for good and light XC tires with skinwall are welcome. Good traction on semi muddy and hard tracks, leak resistant,... you know the works :wink: Now with schwalbe racing ralph/ray. I'm happy with their performance. But if I'm not mistaken is the new "super" series heavier than the previous snakeskin version.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I think maxxis Ikon’s, juste the normal tr version, will be your best bet. But imo the Maxxis Aspen is a better and lighter tire but not Skinwall

xkcd

by xkcd

I have the Icon as rear tyre in a Ardent / Icon combination, but they are not really light, around 650-ish grams for a 29x2.2
Before I had Conti XK RaceSport which were just over 500g and still great to ride

DanW

by DanW

On that Maxxis combo... not that light, not that tough, not that fast, not that grippy. Tyres are always a compromise but I felt those listed seem to compromise everywhere. I don't think they will give you anything your Schwalbe combo doesn't.

02GF74

by 02GF74

If you are going to have a thin top coat then the frame surface needs to be very smooth, at least 1200 grade wet n dry else imperfections will stand out.

Primera23

by Primera23

So been sanding away for some more hours. Hell of a job but I'm getting there. Almost done with the rough sanding. Still 1 side to sand. Then it's time for the fine sanding. I must say that I like the wet look a lot! Lost about 100gr for now.

Last edited by Primera23 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primera23

by Primera23

Finally removed all the paint from the frame. Hell of a job, definetely won't do this again (soon). Only thing left to do is some light detail sanding to get it super smooth. Happy with the result! hopefully soon I can get it repaired and "painted".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com