Shaving off more weight. Tips?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Primera23

by Primera23

After a lot of sanding, the frame was finally ready for repair and paint. This happend last week. Very happy with the result! It's hard to capture the carbon and black logo's in good photo's but it looks really nice in person. The red spots are filtered out with more black added in the clearcoat layer. Hides the red but you can still see carbon structure.

So this weekend I started the transplant from the S frame to my new naked M frame. A lot of stuff was just switching and then I had some other components waiting to be put on. This really is my dream build. Like the minimal raw look combined with the blue accents and SID. Bike is really build for speed. Final result is 8,41kg all inclusive. So even better than the 8,5kg I was secretly hoping for. Frame weight original was 1,080kg, after repair and coating it is 0,935kg. So I won 145g on frame. Other parts like steer, stem, grips,... did the rest. For reference I weighed the naked S frame and this was 1,065kg. So between S and M frame only 15gr weight penalty.

Enough babbling, here are some mandatory pics!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Looks real nice, nice color coordination, maybe cut the derailleur a bit shorter so it doesn't get caught in the pulleys

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Nice! It is the result of total dedication!
Where did you get the derailleur pulleys & cage ?

Primera23

by Primera23

Pulleys are from JRC components and cage is from Leonardi racing. Matches really well with all my other blue pieces. I had a gold cage and pulleys before but the color was more orange and didn't quite match with chain and cassette.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Primera23 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 pm
Pulleys are from JRC components and cage is from Leonardi racing. Matches really well with all my other blue pieces. I had a gold cage and pulleys before but the color was more orange and didn't quite match with chain and cassette.
... resisting to press the Buy button :)
Why didn't you choose the Leonardi pulleys ? For the white color ?

Primera23

by Primera23

Didn't even see them :lol:

But yes the color would be a big No No for me. I bought my cage at R2bike. a bit cheaper apparentely than directly from supplier so it seems.

02GF74

by 02GF74

There are slotted 12 speed chains that should save a few grammes.