Fox Live Valve

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Anyone with thoughts or experience on this out there? Seems to still be in version one but radio silence from Fox about future updates or version 2.

People with experience seem split down the middle however.

Just curious. :smartass:
Just ride ..

robtmitchell

by robtmitchell

Hi,

I have the Live Valve on a medium size Pivot Mach 4 Sl I purchased used last Spring, it was one year old.
The reviews are spot on in my opinion if you read 2-3 of the Pivot Mach 4 live valve reviews on the web.

The only negative I have noticed is once in a while you will hit an abrupt rock and it seems a little more jarring than it should before the system takes over. I have not tried adjusting fork pressure less which may help. I am using the chart on the fork based on rider weight. It would also be nice to have an easier to access level adjuster on the bar to hit while riding if you wanted to change on the fly. I do most of my riding on setting 3 (1-5 scale) and sometimes will select 2 for all downhill for more fun. I have tried 4-5 for paved roads to the trail and it feels close to a hard tail. The fork moves. About 10-12 mm with out of the saddle standing and peddling uphill on pavement. I have not tried a pure out of saddle sprint to see what max movement is on the firmest setting of 5. I have not ridden much on level 1 either but it may be fun downhill.
The fork the used bike came with is a 100mm which is fine for the riding I do and the bike responds better when ridden hard and aggressive. The bike also came with some nice light weight race wheels so I have only used 2.2 to 2.4 wide tires on it.
I am a XC fitness rider and not really into huge drops and rocky cliffs that will break me since I am ancient. My uphill wattage is above average for an old guy if that helps you understand where this review is coming from. I used to race some XC, road, road TT and if you need more info you can send me a private message. The bike has no lock outs for suspension so I just set and ride which keeps me from forgetting to unlock my fork when I hit down hills, this happens to old people. To conclude I am real happy with the purchase but Am not sure I would pay full price for that bike new from a shop. I will be on it next year as well and only have 1 MTB to ride.
You could also check MTBR forum as well for more rider reviews.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com