Hardtail 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swannie

by Swannie

Hi,
i'm in the market for a new hardtail. Frameset or complete bike.
Any one seen or found 2021 Ht Epic or Scale 2021 on the web or in flesh?
Thought with new SL7 being released, complete line of 2021 would be on the site, but nope...
Any thoughts on what frame is interesting nowadays besides Epic or Scale?
Thx

stoney

by stoney

I absolutely love my 2020 Specialized Epic hardtail. I came from a 2015 Scale hardtail and I have more confidence descending on the Epic than the Scale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slashy

by slashy

Swannie, check ibkbike for specialized bikes
Scott will not change for next year (maybe for 2022). (there is a nice one on 2dehands full blown equipped)

for other bikes I have a SC highball myself that I really like (geo quite close to the Specialized (except head angle)).
new Orbea Alma looks nice too.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Swannie wrote:Hi,
i'm in the market for a new hardtail. Frameset or complete bike.
Any one seen or found 2021 Ht Epic or Scale 2021 on the web or in flesh?
Thought with new SL7 being released, complete line of 2021 would be on the site, but nope...
Any thoughts on what frame is interesting nowadays besides Epic or Scale?
Thx
The updated Orbea Alma looks quite nice, Trek is way to heavy, Merida Big Nine, Cannondale (if you want really expensive fork services), Unno (if you have no budget)

If I where to build up a new xc hardtail, it would be a Specialized epic. weight, geo all looks quite good

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

+1 love my 2020 Epic Hardtail, that would be my choice if I was getting another hardtail.

Swannie

by Swannie

Thanks 4 the replies. Just bought 2021 Epic Expert.

stoney

by stoney

Good choice. I have the Epic Pro hardtail with an upgraded crank (XX1).

Crankycolnago

by Crankycolnago

I will be oredring the new 2021 Orbea Alma with the rigid fork and the 100mm one as well, bike looks like it has a lot of potential. this will be probably replacing my gravel bike .

prebsy

by prebsy

What are you guys looking for in updated hardtails? more progressive Geo? Lighter weight? more clearance? all of the above?
I kind of love my hardtail b/c it's just light, simple, steep angles, short wheelbase----- outdated

stoney

by stoney

@Crankycolnago, I love the idea of the rigid fork for gravel. I'd say rigid fork, put a 36 chainring on the front and some Continental Race Kings for tires and you'd have the ultimate gravel killer. The 2.2 Race Kings roll as fast on the rolling resistance tests as any gravel tires.

@prebsy, The 2020 Specialized Epic hardtail comes with a 68.5 headtube angle which makes going downhill feel more stable and fun. It also is more comfortable than my old 2015 Scott Scale and has room for larger tires, up to 2.4.

02GF74

by 02GF74

I was going to throw in mondraker podium sl (or whatever is the top of the range equivalent) but you've gone and bought a bike.

I'm sure it is a good un.

req110

by req110

Any comparism between epic and mondraker podium?
I am considering to built some sub 8kg hardtail.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Crankycolnago

by Crankycolnago

req110 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:23 pm
Any comparism between epic and mondraker podium?
I am considering to built some sub 8kg hardtail.
I dont own a Podium but I do have the F - Podium and Mondraker is just a gorgeous bike and the forward geo feels amazing, I think the Epic still has the old geo that we saw a few years back w roadie like lenght stems that for a mtn bike is kind of duh .. if you can get he podium grab it , i was going to get one but they said in size small it wont be available for a very long time like till end of year, therfore i went with and Orbea Alam which is also 90 days out .

02GF74

by 02GF74

I don't have a hard tail to compare it to but I threw it into the mix as its a nice nice looking bike and out of the box is around 8.5kg (I'm referring to 11 speed model) . I've got it down to 8.28 kg inc pedals namely carbon saddle, slotted chain, Ti and alloy hardware.

Fittings lighter disc brake rotors, wheels (mavic carbon are around 1600g from memory) thinner tyres (running on rocket ron 2.1), remove remote lockout to one on top of leg should see sub 8kg but as it stands, I know the parts fitted are reliable unlike super lightweight carbon.

Downside is the stem arrangemet, the stem recesses into the top tube, puts the bars quite low and to raise bars would need another stem.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Crankycolnago wrote: I think the Epic still has the old geo that we saw a few years back w roadie like lenght stems that for a mtn bike is kind of duh ..
The epic has a 68.5 degree headtube angle just like the podium, so no old geo
02GF74 wrote: Downside is the stem arrangemet, the stem recesses into the top tube, puts the bars quite low and to raise bars would need another stem.
The Podium doesn’t have the recessed stem anymore

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com