Trek Supercaliber Custom Build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

So I m looking at building up a Trek Supercaliber as a XC machine. But build for somebody who is 92kilos heavy, but wants to build it as light as possible, but still has to be able take the abuse. As I know nothing about MTB, and have in the past only had roadbikes and Triathlon Bikes, I m open to sugesstions.

My only thought was the Cannondale Ocho Carbon Lefty Fork. Would that even fit? Or what does everybody think about the Cane Creek Helm MKII suspension fork?

I m a big fan of Enve Components, but undecided if SRAM or Shimano.........

So please school me....and work from the perspective that money is not the limitation, but practicality of components.
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Brand new, but the Rockshox SID Ultimate w/ 35mm stanchions might fit the bill? (He'd/she'd have to be OK with RS fork and Fox rear shock though). I would definitely go with XTR...but that's only b/c I'm a Shimano guy; I've had good luck with SRAM too.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

It really depends on your use, what are your trails like that you're wanting to ride? My friend had a Supercaliber and much preferred his 2019 Epic so the Supercaliber was sold after a few months. I rode it once and didn't think the rear suspension was that great, so much that for the weight penalty of a "soft tail" you're better off riding a HT. The Supercaliber isn't very light either when compared to other FS bikes. 2021 Epic will probably be better than the Supercaliber (in my opinion) and should be announced soon.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I would never buy the supercaliber it is heavier than actual full suspension xc bikes, like scott scale, epic, lux.

Anyway, for front suspension i would go with a Rockshox Sid 2021, then either shimano XTR or sram xx1 axs, Axs has a clean cockpit, but xtr is the best shifting 12 speed group available, i would pair them with a garbaruk 10-48 casette.

Finishing kit I would go for darimo or mt zoom. Enve is just to heavy

Wheels would be Farsports or lightbicycle to CarbonTi hubs.

Brakes if money is no issue Trickstuff picolas

That pretty much is how I would build a fully

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

DanW

by DanW

If it were me and money no object but practicalites top priority for a genuine full sus I'd be looking at something like:

BMC Fourstroke (love the dropper integration)/ Intense Sniper/ Unno Horn (mega $$$)
SRAM AXS (yay no cables!) with XTR cassette and chain (supposedly better shifting under load)
Whatever wheels and tyres you feel comfortable on for your weight and trails. Chinese carbon on light hubs would be the popular choice. Tyres are a tricky one but I'm really sold on wider 2.2-2.4 for XC. Most tyres are north of 700g for anything that lasts so just take your pick.
Most finishing kit is great these days too. Browse Starbike or R2 or similar to see what takes your fancy at the weight and cost that appeals.
Light dropper
XTR or Trickstuff brakes depending on if you prefer on/off or a little more feel. I'm on XTR and love them but no-one has a bad word to say about Trickstuff (maybe not after spending so much money!).
You can't go too far wrong with either Fox Stepcast forks or SIDS. There are lots of tuning options, custom parts and custom dampers for these chassis if you really hate the feel of the stock fork, though I doubt you will.

The Ocho and Helm forks are probably great but you get a bit more limited in getting help with them and I can't see that they offer anything extra in a real practical sense.
The Supercaliber frame is around 2.4kg so as other have said is heavier than a lot of proper full sus frames.
No one in their right mind pays their own money for ENVE off road IME

That doesn't really answer your original question sorry! Most XC stuff nowadays can take abuse. Having been unhelpful I'll leave you with this supercaliber video :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsW3d5gtj-I

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Lots to take on board already....am currently looking at the Unno Horn & possible the Epic 2021 ..... but have to wait for Epic Details.

Darimo sounds good....and they can build it for the right weight. Am tending more towards AXS, as it is cleaner.

And I would want if possible a two bottle cages build....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

DanW

by DanW

Some Unno builds to give you a flavour (apologies for the rival forum... boo hiss :) )

https://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/ ... 32901.html

Two bottles?

New Scalpel?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

At your weight a Fox 34 SC or the new SID 35mm would be more than appropriate.

Drivetrains these days are great. You really can't go wrong.

Make sure you get the suspension tailored to your weight and riding style. Whether that means sending it in or just a lot of tinkering at home. Modern fork dampers are not particularly great at suiting a wide range of rider weights and riding styles.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

DanW wrote:Some Unno builds to give you a flavour (apologies for the rival forum... boo hiss :) )

https://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/ ... 32901.html

Two bottles?

New Scalpel?
Some really nice work there. Scalpel might be a good/great bike, but I really struggle with the paint jobs.

Strava
Instagram

robbosmans

by robbosmans

When cannondale switched back to their old logo I was super hyped, but their frames got kinda ugly, I find that cannondale has lost its thing

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

robbosmans wrote:When cannondale switched back to their old logo I was super hyped, but their frames got kinda ugly, I find that cannondale has lost its thing

I agree that is why I had a super evo repainted

Strava
Instagram

02GF74

by 02GF74

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:54 pm
their frames got kinda ugly
Agreed, I'm not liking the horizontal downtube where it joins the BB. How can that be an improvement over triangles!?!? , I can only think it is to allow space for 2 water bottles (but I thought every body switched to hydration backpacks)

DanW

by DanW

The cool kidz strap everything to the bike now and wear hip packs. Packs are soooo 2000 :roll: :D I joke but many people hate packs (me included) and given the choice between two similar bikes with either one or two bottles I'd take two every time.

Another option OP would be an Orbea Oiz. I don't know how I missed this. Salsa Spearfish would be another similar design but the silly superboost rear axle and lack of sexiness of the brand probably rule it out for most people.

Last edited by DanW on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Or rdr, their raw finishes look great

MattMay

by MattMay

Do NOT get an UNNO Horn. I did...yes, the frame is beautiful and light (it was 1920g with shock), but within 6 normal XC rides the frame developed a crack at the junction of seatpost, downtube, and bottom bracket. What first alerted me was my drive side crank started nicking the chainstay under torque. I sent the frame back, they refunded my $ in full, and the explanation was "bad batch of carbon affecting a whole run of frames." Huh? They gave me the option to wait a few months while they figured things out and get a new frame, but I had lost confidence. Anyway, I'm taking delivery today of a Supercaliber frame (medium). I'll post my build as it develops. Hoping for something under 22 lbs.

Btw, pic of Horn crack:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com