Light XC Wheelsets

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

woodzyz

by woodzyz

zscs wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:17 pm
I would have a non-boost wheelset related question. I have an old Canyon carbon XC hardtail with Niner rigid fork, 15x100mm, frame is an old 12x142mm one and I'm planning to use it as a hillclimb machine (sub-8 kgs already with rigid fork) but the current wheelset I have, that's more than 5 years old with 20k+ kms (Acros 29 XC carbon) and both hubs have issues already & also no warranty anymore.
Since I have a CX/gravel bike as well and I would need a spare & light wheelset to that bike as well, came to my mind, what if I bought a CX/gravel wheelset that I could use also in my old hillclimb XC machine. :)
For example: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheel ... 400-spline

my only problem, is it possible to convert the 12x100mm to 15x100mm? Somehow it's not clear this to me, also not found any info on this yet. Thanks!
Yes they can be converted,but i am afraid the DT conversion end cap is very difficult to buy under current market condition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodzyz

by woodzyz

Look at this pretty light Carbon spoke elite gravel 1300g for 45mm anyone have bought their wheel has been get fairly good review recently
https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/dr ... isc-brake/

woodzyz

by woodzyz

n

zscs

by zscs

woodzyz wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:08 am
Yes they can be converted,but i am afraid the DT conversion end cap is very difficult to buy under current market condition.
thanks for the info. Still thinking about what would be the best option. :) Actually, I have 9mm/15mm DT end caps, mtb and road versions as well. I'll ask my friends who has DT road wheels and try to test these end caps whether could be used or not.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

I'm looking at "superlight" 27.5 rims currently.

Has anyone seen any rims worth considering recently?

These have caught my eye (posted on page 4 of this thread):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000543 ... 3GBOm&mp=1
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

alexdi

by alexdi

Shoutout to EIE Carbon. I had them build me an i35 wheelset for a Giant Trance and 2.6" tires. It's not an ultralight build, but I think the shallow profile and chunky 3.5mm bead wall will contribute to durability.

Bitex BX211 6B XD 54 POE 28H hubs
Pillar 1420 spokes w/ aluminum nipples
A29C35D18 "SL" rims in UD Satin w/ black gloss decals

Cost was under $750 shipped. Calculated weight was 1513g. Actual weight was 1495g. They weighed the non-rim parts separately for me; working backwards, the rim weights were exactly as estimated.

On the build: flipped on a coin on CL vs. 6B. DT 350 was tempting and 40g lighter, but I can't stand the noise with a 54T ratchet. CX-Ray was less tempting; I've built based on Pillar and Mac and whatever functional differences exist are too subtle for me to tell. Brass nipples weren't worth the weight for a wheelset I expect never to true.

From payment to delivery was about 3 weeks, but this included two builds. The first build was based on the A29C30D18 rim and came out a bit heavy (1460g). They offered to rebuild on the same rim or a different one at no cost, so I switched to the wider version that was a better match for the tires. The delivery was well-packed, undamaged, and included extra spokes and valve stem decals.

I've had a A29C29D25 build with the non-Boost MTR12 Bitex hub on my Scalpel for the last four or five years. Zero problems with it. I've only put a hundred miles on this set, but I'm expecting more of the same. The difference in weight and sidewall support relative to the stock 1750g i30 Giant wheels has been surprisingly noticeable.
Attachments
eie5.jpg
eie3.jpg
eie4.jpg
eie2.jpg
eie1.jpg

Femboy

by Femboy

get the bontrager rsl they are just under 2500 dollars and 1200g with a banger warranty most likely strong and great reliable parts (dt240s instead of 180s)

Femboy

by Femboy

JayDee81 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:20 pm
I've just had laced Nextie ultralight rims with id 27 mm to DT350 6-bolt, 28 CX-Ray straightpull spokes and the set weighs 1322 g, so they certainly are lightweight.
them hoes heavy asf gah dam
get some fact carbon ones if you want something light and cheap

kervelo

by kervelo

I am thinking of getting new wheels for my Epic Ht. Does anyone have (good or bad) experiences about the warranty process of Dt swiss or Roval wheels in EU countries? The Dt swiss warranty seems to be a bit better and I suppose dealing with an European company with a good dealer coverage helps.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

I've been slapping a pair of Control SL's around Whistler for the past 2 months and they've held up great, I'm a huge fan.

kervelo

by kervelo

My first option was also the Roval Control Carbon, but due to better availability I chose the DT Swiss XRC 1501.

Edit: b24 has a very good special price for XRC 1501 now, a week after I purchased my wheels. :(

Femboy

by Femboy

I got some kovee xxx wheels for 1500 I great condition

ComeKnowMeAsGC

by ComeKnowMeAsGC

Any opinion on whether my 2021 Specialized epic evo should use...:
  • stock Roval carbon controls (25 ID, front wheel is ~929g dtswiss 350 + tape + sealant)
  • carbonfans I have lying around (30 ID, front wheel is ~805g dtswiss 350 + tape + sealant)
I ride XC almost exclusively in the SW (Vegas, St George, Kingman) and like the idea of 30mm ID, probably 1/2 lb+ less weight across both wheels, but even though I haven't noticed any build quality issues when I can the carbonfans, the rovals just seem better made / sturdy. Likely not of note, but the rovals are 'deeper' whereas the carbonfans are much more low profile. Thoughts?

kervelo

by kervelo

kervelo wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:19 am
My first option was also the Roval Control Carbon, but due to better availability I chose the DT Swiss XRC 1501.

Edit: b24 has a very good special price for XRC 1501 now, a week after I purchased my wheels. :(
B24 has now a special offer for the XRC 1200 too: 49% off. :shock:

I wonder if there is a product refresh coming.

vrapo

by vrapo

kervelo wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:46 am
I am thinking of getting new wheels for my Epic Ht. Does anyone have (good or bad) experiences about the warranty process of Dt swiss or Roval wheels in EU countries? The Dt swiss warranty seems to be a bit better and I suppose dealing with an European company with a good dealer coverage helps.
I have had only good experiences with their support. It was going thru local dealer but all went well

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com