New Rockshox Sid 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

You most likely won't notice any difference @GPetsis

GPetsis

by GPetsis

DanW wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 pm
You most likely won't notice any difference @GPetsis
Really?
10⁰ isn't something that can be noticed while you drive?
As the sid at 51⁰ ,is the old one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

My bad, I thought the MY2021 SID and SID SL were available in 51mm offset like the Pike and Lyrik but that is not the case. They are only available in 44mm offset.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

It's 7mm not 10 degrees.

GPetsis

by GPetsis

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:45 pm
It's 7mm not 10 degrees.
Indeed..what am i was thinking..
So,its so small that you do not have to worry?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

If you test two forks on the same frame, given the same A-C, same pressures/sag/damping, you will notice a difference. It is minimal.

As soon as you change anything else about the fork, it'll fairly effectively mask the offset change.

DanW

by DanW

If you want to know the theoretical difference then the lower offset fork will increase the "mechanical trail" which increases the stability. If you were to choose a shorter offset fork than you currently have then it is a bit like slackening the HTA a fraction (bit simplistic but more or less right). At a rough guess it would be like having around a 0.8 degree slacker HTA. The wheelbase will change slightly too.

Does that matter and would you ever notice on a steeper XC bike that isn't pushing any limits in terms of the geometry? Will your F-Si suddenly become a barge to climb or a demon descender? I doubt you'd notice any meaningful difference.

GPetsis

by GPetsis

Thank you guys.
Appreciate your time!

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Hey what axles are the real weight weenies using here for their sids. The stock maxle isn't horrible at 38g but godzuki had some crazy carbon prototype axles made for his fox 32 performance made by C2works. Is there anything similar for a sid ultimate?

1llum4

by 1llum4

The Extralite Blacklock 15.4 is 27g

Primera23

by Primera23

I'm loving my Sid SL. Huge difference comparing to my 2018 sid RLC. However I have a small greavance. To cut weight, they removed the cap of the air valve. This means you get dirt inside. Quite difficult to clean because off the small ribs on inside and the valve in the middle. For now I hose it well and blow with air pressure to get rid of most dirt. Would like some sort of cap to put on. I know, I know, this will add weight but to me those 3gr or so would be worth it. Anyone know of a company that has made this yet? Can't seem to find anything. Or am I the only one who is kinda annoyed by this? :p
Last edited by Primera23 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoney

by stoney

Let us know if you find a cap for it. I'd like one too.

rapsac

by rapsac

Perhaps one of the caps from Hopp carbon fits?

Primera23

by Primera23

So quick update regarding the cap for the air valve. I asked the question at R2bike some days ago. I was notified that it would take a day or 3 to respond. In the mean time I came to the conclusion that I had such a cap still on my wifes bike. She has the SID RLC from 2018. So I quickly tested it myself and its a perfect fit. Inside of the ULTIMATE is a bit conical as is the cap so it seems that it closes the "hole" nicely. So I went ahead and ordered such a HOPP carbon cap yesterday. Now I just got repsons from R2BIKE saying that it doesn't fit and no after market solution exists at this point. I guess I will have to wait and see ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rapsac

by rapsac

I recall seeing a Hopp cap installed on a SID35 on a French or Italian light bikes forum. Don’t know which one though. Nor if it fit nicely.