New Rockshox Sid 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bokiscout

by bokiscout

I've bought SID SL Select from reputable bike shop in Germany, however I'm afraid that I might recieved used (refurbrished) fork.

1. The steerer tube length is only 17cm out of the box. I suspect it is being cut, in my experience all forks have longer steerer tubes.
2. The star nut is being installed out of the box, In my experience this is not installed in the factory
3. There is some brown dirt inside the steerer tube and on top of the stantions.

What's your toughts on this?

Here are some pictures:
20210511_115611.jpg
20210511_115635.jpg
20210511_120107.jpg
20210511_120422.jpg
20210511_120600.jpg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yes, probably a fork from a new bike but definitely assembled before, I would return it or ask for a significant discount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Definitely looks like a fork that was part of a bike and was ridden.

I also wonder if SRAM would honor a warranty on that fork, because it was sold as an OEM fork as part of a complete bike, and they might be able to associate the fork serial number with a Giant/Trek/Specialized/_____ that you don't own.

At the very least, yeah, definitely get a discount, or return it.

bokiscout

by bokiscout

Thank you for confirming my fears.

I have opened a claim at the bike shop. Will share more info after resolving this issue.

bokiscout

by bokiscout

I contacted the seller (Bike24). It turns out that the fork has a complaint case already.

I'm returning this, and they are sending me new one.

Alfus

by Alfus

bokiscout wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:15 pm
I've bought SID SL Select from reputable bike shop in Germany, however I'm afraid that I might recieved used (refurbrished) fork.

1. The steerer tube length is only 17cm out of the box. I suspect it is being cut, in my experience all forks have longer steerer tubes.
2. The star nut is being installed out of the box, In my experience this is not installed in the factory
3. There is some brown dirt inside the steerer tube and on top of the stantions.

What's your toughts on this?

Here are some pictures:
20210511_115611.jpg
20210511_115635.jpg
20210511_120107.jpg
20210511_120422.jpg
20210511_120600.jpg
If you have mud in a "new" fork,,, something is wrong.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Hey guys. Im wondering if i screwed up. I have the ultimate fork but with a new fox rear shock which is push to unlock. I didnt even know push to unlock was a thing when i purchased both fork and shoxk. Am i screwed in a single remote operating both at the same time? I have a twinlock that ive hooked up to the fox shock already. Im thinking i cant use it for the fork. Thoughts on options?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

bokiscout

by bokiscout

sid-sl-oil.png
How much oil / grease should I get for my 2021 SID SL Select for a single full bleed / service?

Acording to the specification I need:
- 3WT for Upper Tube (damper) [ but how much is bleed in ml? ]
- 0w-30 10ml for Lower Leg (damper) [ OK ]
- 0w-30 3ml for Lower Leg (spring) [ OK ]
- 0w-30 10ml for Lower Leg (spring) [ OK ]
- RockShox Dynamic Seal Grease [ how much ]

I'm about to buy:
- 240ml of 3WT oil https://r2-bike.com/ROCKSHOX-Bleed-Kit-Charger-Damper
- 23ml grease https://r2-bike.com/ROCKSHOX-Dynamic-Se ... Shox-29-ml
- 120ml of 0w-30 oil https://r2-bike.com/ROCKSHOX-Suspension ... W-30-120ml

I guess this is enought even for multiple bleeds?

1llum4

by 1llum4

Yes that should be good for a while. The dynamic seal grease can be substituted with Sram butter (or slickoleum/ honey slick). You will be doing more often lower leg service so even getting 1L of 0w-30 wouldn't be wasted.

bokiscout

by bokiscout

What size Snap Ring Pliers do I need for SID SL select (lower leg service)

Park Tool have them in:
- 1.7mm
- 1.3mm
- 0,9mm (this are probably for brake lever internals)

la85

by la85

I'm getting approx 10% movement when locked out on both my Sid Ultinate fork and SidLuxe Ultimate Shock. Is this normal?

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

bokiscout wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:21 pm
How about use of third party remote on SID SL Selecet.
- Should I expect any compatibility issues?

If buying sid with remote lockout I would consider using remote in this style:
does anybody knows if this type of cheap chinese lock out work with a Fork 32SC purchased new on a santa cruz highball 2018 (purchased on 2019). I hate the Fox lock out lever, it is so plasticky and cheap looking and big. This chinese one looks like the first plastic SID lockout, very compact, very light, with 2 very different buttons. If I get confirmation I would love to try it.

I also know that fox has now a lockout lever that can be integrated on brake lever, like a shimano I-spec or Sram match maker, saw it on photos from emily batty new canyon. But still, I want to upgrade somehow from my crappy fox lockout lever.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

So you want to replace you fox lockout with an even cheaper suntour lockout? Yes it will work as cable pull is the same, but if you want something more robust check out dt swiss. Fox lockout’s aren’t bad they work quite well, Rockshox Oneloc is almost the same but is made out of metal so could be another option.

js

by js

I've been searching for better info on Sid vs Fox 34sc and after finally finding it, I thought I'd share it here to hopefully save others some of the time it took me.

Full report (well-translated in Chrome) here - https://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/par ... -sid-2021/

Summary - the SID is stiffer in every way and better with small bumps, but the Fox was given the nod for better overall use of it's travel.

(Edit - "Bremssteifigkeit, Seitensteifigkeit & Torsionssteifigkeit" translate to "Braking stiffness, Lateral stiffness and Torsional stiffness" respectively)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Thank you.
What does it mean by better use of its travel?
Does it mean Fox has better dampening in the mid stroke and less ramp up at the end of the travel (thus use more of the travel more often)?