Ultralight Chinese Carbon Seatposts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

Hi all,

Was wondering what "brands" of chinese seatposts you have tried that have ended up working out well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I have been using a Hylix post on my Top Fuel for over a year or so now. No issues as of yet. Not super light but came in around 192g. It was an improvement over the Bontrager XXX 245g.
Last edited by nickf on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02GF74

by 02GF74

The first one I bought was a Hylix, not had any issues with it at the time but not ridden that bike for maybe 4 years.

Also had no problems with other non branded, apart from creaks at the seat clamp and post slipping.

I have 2 toseek 27.2mm posts and fitted a piece of carbon fibre tube inside at that clamp area at a cost of 10g due to them flexing, both bikes are large frame as I'm on the limit for that frame size hence a lot of post showing.

I'm not sure if the flex is an issue, just that comparing to others they seem too bendy.

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

nickf wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm
I have been using a Hylix post on my Top Fuel for over a year or so now. No issues as of yet. Not super light but came in around 192g. It was an improvement over the Bontrager XXX 245g.
Been looking at the Hylix ones as well. So good to hear there have been no issues. Any experience with the Hylix handlebars? Currently debating if its worth to just spend the extra money on Mt. Zoom stuff.

nickf

by nickf

mergeforthekill wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:43 pm
nickf wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm
Been looking at the Hylix ones as well. So good to hear there have been no issues. Any experience with the Hylix handlebars? Currently debating if its worth to just spend the extra money on Mt. Zoom stuff.
I'm using a mt zoom flat bar myself. Also had been set and forget.

d36

by d36

Elita One

Originally bought one for my hardtail that didnt get ridden much
also got one on my dually that has taken a beating
still good after several months of use

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

"Ultralight," "Carbon," and "Chinese" sounds a bit sketchy to me. The latter two is fine, but once you're getting into the ultralight sector, I'd personally go with something either alloy (like the tune seatpost with all the scaffolding), or a dedicated WW brand such as Darimo. On the other hand, I've recently bought an ultralight chinese carbon saddle that came in at 83g, which I then tuned down to 62g.

froze

by froze

I wouldn't take the risk of buying anything made in China, if you have a problem you'll discover that your warranty is useless. Now with China blackmailing the US not to make our pharmaceuticals gives me all the more reason to avoid buying their junk. I know for sure my arse isn't worth riding some seat post of dubious quality that could fail and give me ream job.

bcart1991

by bcart1991

I've had good results with a couple of them. I'm also 200+ lbs so a testament to durability also. (Insert fat joke here)

The first I bought years ago under the "Black Ops" brand from kbCycleworks on the 'Bay. Advertised at 180g for 27.2, weighed in at 176g uncut.
Second was under Q2 brand, also on the 'Bay (I forget which seller/store). Haven't had a chance to weigh it, but structurally and cosmetically it's identical to the Black Ops; I'd wager they're from the same manufacturer.

I also have one with the round seat mounting mechanism that I can't get to stay tight no matter what kind/size fitting I use. I got that one stupid cheap 2nd hand so I'm not worried about it.
Last edited by bcart1991 on Sun May 24, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KOTTER

F45

by F45

One Hylix lasted one ride on my hardtail before cracking in half at the seatpost collar. Another Hylix has lasted on my road bike for many years.

froze

by froze

bcart1991 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:44 pm
I've had good results with a couple of them. I'm also 200+ lbs so a testament to durability also. (Insert fat joke here)

The first I bought years ago under the "Black Ops" brand from kbCycleworks on the 'Bay. Advertised at 180g for 27.2, weighed in at 176g uncut.
Second was under Q2 brand, also on the 'Bay (I forget which seller/store). Haven't had a chance to weigh it, but structurally and cosmetically it's identical to the Black Ops; I'd wager they're from the same manufacturer.

I also have one with the round seat mounting mechanism that I can't get to stay tight no matter what kind/size fitting I use. I got that one stupid cheap 2nd hand so I'm not worried about it.
Yeah, I have heard others with good reports as well, the problem is they have spotty quality control, so you could get a good one and the next guy crashes on one that broke.

There are other reasons to why I try my damndest not to buy Chinese made stuff; like I said before, I know that's impossible but I try anyways.

Then ask yourself a question...do they care about what happens to you if something happens to their product that causes you bodily harm or death? NO!! in fact, even our legal system can't protect you because China has no regard for Western laws, no regard for the rule of law, no regard for international law, no regard for anyone who isn't Chinese, and even the Chinese can't sue their own products made in China if there is a failure causing a major problem. They don't care about you or me.

If you want to do business with them, that's your right of course, but I won't and neither do others I know. With this Covid 19 I'm hoping America will wake up and start withdrawing all their industry and send them either here to us in America, or to friendly countries. I don't mind paying more for a product made in some other country because I know it will be built better.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

froze wrote:
bcart1991 wrote:

Yeah, I have heard others with good reports as well, the problem is they have spotty quality control, so you could get a good one and the next guy crashes on one that broke.

There are other reasons to why I try my damndest not to buy Chinese made stuff; like I said before, I know that's impossible but I try anyways.

Then ask yourself a question...do they care about what happens to you if something happens to their product that causes you bodily harm or death? NO!! in fact, even our legal system can't protect you because China has no regard for Western laws, no regard for the rule of law, no regard for international law, no regard for anyone who isn't Chinese, and even the Chinese can't sue their own products made in China if there is a failure causing a major problem. They don't care about you or me.

If you want to do business with them, that's your right of course, but I won't and neither do others I know. With this Covid 19 I'm hoping America will wake up and start withdrawing all their industry and send them either here to us in America, or to friendly countries. I don't mind paying more for a product made in some other country because I know it will be built better.
Keep politics of this forum place

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

F45

by F45

robbosmans wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:10 pm
froze wrote:
bcart1991 wrote:

Actually I think it should be repeated more often.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

F45 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:45 pm
robbosmans wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:10 pm
froze wrote:
bcart1991 wrote:

Actually I think it should be repeated more often.
I agree, I think it should be repeated more often. I think largely politics should be avoided on places like this, but there are several fair points in that post that need repeating.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The notion that made in China = low quality whilst made in the USA = high quality is laughable.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde