Any reviews of the Trek Fuel EX 9.9 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Finally decided to upgrade from my Trek Superfly 9, thinking of buying a Trek Fuel EX 9.9 2018. Been offered one for a reduced price, 54% discount. I was wondering if any of this forum members have any firsthand experience of riding one, plus reviews of the bike?
Thanks.

spud

by spud

I've been riding one since Feb 2018, and am a huge fan. Not the most plush bike in the world, but you can climb out of the saddle without the bike going all squishy on you - pedals really well under any circumstances, tracks well through the rough stuff. Has also been dead reliable, with a good number of wrecks and hard usage. If I totalled my bike, I'd get another in the heartbeat.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you are a big guy, there is the possibility of stripping the freehub on the stock Line Pro wheelset. I'm 180 lbs and haven't had any problems, but my 215 lbs friend stripped his.

by Weenie

Sammy

by Sammy

I've the 2019 8 which I love. I've ridden the 2019 9.7 also if you want any info on those but otherwise can't help.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Shouldn't be any problems with the weight and power, only 140lbs and 5f4. Buying a small, fingers crossed that it will fit me? As I've been offered it for 60% discount. Any tips on helicopter tape?

spud

by spud

merlinxlm wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:25 pm
Shouldn't be any problems with the weight and power, only 140lbs and 5f4. Buying a small, fingers crossed that it will fit me? As I've been offered it for 60% discount. Any tips on helicopter tape?
Helicopter tape?

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Protective cleare tape.

spud

by spud

apply it as you see fit, with the understanding that it will look like shit in relatively short order due to dirt getting into the edges etc. I have some applied to the outside of the seatstays, and plenty of scratches/gouges on other parts of the frame including chainstays, down tube, top tube and head tube.

by Weenie

Sammy

by Sammy

Invisiframe do one

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk