The best value 29 wheels for XC

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kervelo

by kervelo

What would be your recommendation for good quality, reasonably light, moderately priced 29 wheels for XC?

Sort of Campagnolo Zonda for mountain biking: great hubs, bomb proof and light. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zinedrei

by zinedrei

really depends on the budget. you may want to have a look at Light Bicycle if they have something that you can pair with DT350 hubs

robbosmans

by robbosmans

You cant go wrong with stans crest wheels, mine weigh 1400g, i have mine laced to dt swiss 350 hubs, 28 spokes front and rear for around €450

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

kervelo

by kervelo

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm
You cant go wrong with stans crest wheels...
That must be a very nice wheelset, but the crest mk3 is a bit too lightweight for my taste. I am not very heavy, around 77 kgs, but still would like to have a more robust pair of wheels. One slightly heavier option would be the DT350s paired with DT swiss XR 361 rim. The max weight for the rim is significantly higher than for the crest and the wheelset weight is still between 1500-1600 grams depending on the spokes. I have built road wheels earlier, but never any mtb wheels, so this would be the first time. Of course there are many good wheel builders that will happily do the work for me.

DanW

by DanW

Hunt are worth checking out.

Priit

by Priit

kervelo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 am
What would be your recommendation for good quality, reasonably light, moderately priced 29 wheels for XC?

Sort of Campagnolo Zonda for mountain biking: great hubs, bomb proof and light. :)
Well, DT Swiss X 1700 SPLINE 22.5 - 29".

kervelo

by kervelo

I decided to go custom and ordered a wheelset with Dt swiss 350 straight pull hubs and xr 361 rims. Weight will be around 1650 g so definitely not a WW option, but hopefully the wheels are bomb proof. The weight and price are still well below x 1700, which was my other option initially.

Jan

by Jan

Duke Lucky Star HD

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

DanW wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm
Hunt are worth checking out.
Yup, just picked up a set of these. 1517g's is very respectable for a 24mm inner and their weight limits are considerably higher than the Crests which lead me to believe they are stronger (hopefully)

The Crests are a great wheel/rim but can definitely feel noodly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com