Shimano XT 12 Speed Vs SRAM Eagle 12 Speed - Which Should I buy?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Shimano XT 12 Speed Vs SRAM Eagle 12 Speed - Which should I buy?

Looking at this for an enduro 27.5x2.6 full suspension bike

Pros - cons?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammy

by Sammy

Which eagle?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Sram is lighter

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Which SRAM Eagle group is the same level as XT 12?

Is weight the only difference between these two?

Attermann

by Attermann

Gx eagle is about the same.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

New Shimano HG+ is much much smoother shifting.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Sammy

by Sammy

I really like GX, no experience with XT though. I'd stay away from NX. It's not nearly as reliable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

markdjr

by markdjr

XT shifts better, less maintenance and better gear range

TheRich

by TheRich

At this point I'd be concerned about freehub availability if this is going on an existing bike.

Other than that, just go for the best price.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TheRich wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 pm
At this point I'd be concerned about freehub availability if this is going on an existing bike.

Other than that, just go for the best price.
Sram eagle cassettes are compatible with Shimano 12 speed rear derailleurs.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I’ve racing enduro since 2005 and one of the lessons learned is that enduro bicycles have a much tougher life. Actually tougher than DH in which the runs are shorter, I’d say.

One of the components that suffer the most, and one that very often can ruin your race is the RD. Actually when we started using only one chainring the idea was to simplify the whole drivetrain so the RD could work in a simpler fashion.

SRAM got it right early here. Their X-Horizon RD, among other things, makes impossible ghost shifts due to the inertial forces on the cage and outermost knuckle, which was a common source of trouble which often ended with a RD wrapped around the cogs.

The new Shimano 12s derailleurs follow the same principle (no more slant parallelogram), but unfortunately are still proving to be weaker than SRAM. On top of that we got a batch which feels super stiff at the lever (XTR). Another problem is the new microspline thing (couldn’t they just use an XD body??), there are not so many rear hubs really available (catalogs are another thing).

The best bang for the buck is considered to be X01 lever, GX derailleur and X01 cassette ( to reduce unsprung mass ). Money can be saved on GX level cassette and smoother shifting comes at the cost of getting a XX1 lever.

Hope that helps.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Ritxis

by Ritxis

XCProMD wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:14 am
I’ve racing enduro since 2005 and one of the lessons learned is that enduro bicycles have a much tougher life. Actually tougher than DH in which the runs are shorter, I’d say.

One of the components that suffer the most, and one that very often can ruin your race is the RD. Actually when we started using only one chainring the idea was to simplify the whole drivetrain so the RD could work in a simpler fashion.

SRAM got it right early here. Their X-Horizon RD, among other things, makes impossible ghost shifts due to the inertial forces on the cage and outermost knuckle, which was a common source of trouble which often ended with a RD wrapped around the cogs.

The new Shimano 12s derailleurs follow the same principle (no more slant parallelogram), but unfortunately are still proving to be weaker than SRAM. On top of that we got a batch which feels super stiff at the lever (XTR). Another problem is the new microspline thing (couldn’t they just use an XD body??), there are not so many rear hubs really available (catalogs are another thing).

The best bang for the buck is considered to be X01 lever, GX derailleur and X01 cassette ( to reduce unsprung mass ). Money can be saved on GX level cassette and smoother shifting comes at the cost of getting a XX1 lever.

Hope that helps.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

equal shimano has preferred a new freehub, why it can be made compatible with HG cassettes.........if you give an HG+ to HG adapter
splineadapter_zps3syrecju.jpg

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I’m sorry but I don’t get what you mean.

I know the intricacies of the Microspline freehub and that there is an adaptor. I just wonder if we needed another cassette interface at all when there are two already available that’ll space up to 12 cogs and one of them has been around since 1996.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

If you are are worried about durability i wouldnt go with 12 speed, just 11 speed with a larger casette

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:47 am
I’m sorry but I don’t get what you mean.

I know the intricacies of the Microspline freehub and that there is an adaptor. I just wonder if we needed another cassette interface at all when there are two already available that’ll space up to 12 cogs and one of them has been around since 1996.
Did people make this complaint when SRAM went 11-speed? If so, the answer is the same.