Lightest crankset that’s reasonably tough?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrsa1

by mrsa1

I’m looking at cranksets for a new AM build. Ive been having a very hard time comparing weights between different cranksets, some weights are with a BB, just crank arms no axle, complete arms, axle, bb, chainring, etc..
I’ve had next sl’s broke them pretty easy and still seem to be having troubles there so that’s out of the question. I need something that can take some abuse, doesn’t need to be DH strong, but reasonable.

I’m looking at the e13 TRSr SL’s, race face sixc, xx1, or xtr.

My frame uses a threaded bb shell.

I’m looking for actual installed, lightest weight. I’ll peobably go with an absolute black chainring or something regardless of what crankset.
Seems like DUB has some installed weight advantages? Same thing with XTR?

Sammy

by Sammy

eewings probably. But I'm not sure about the compatibility and it's pricey++

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Sammy

by Sammy

Sammy wrote:eewings probably. But I'm not sure about the compatibility and it's pricey++

As an aside, I've XX1 and it's been fine. Crashed it once. Registered on the power meter at 12,000W and no issues.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

12,000W
:shock:

Are you human?

Sammy

by Sammy

maddog 2 wrote:
12,000W
:shock:

Are you human?
I think it was the force of the pedal hitting the earth. Can only dream of those numbers.

mattr

by mattr

Someone on another forum snapped a powermeter (not sure if crank or pedal based) in a crash (T-boned by a car), the last recorded data point was in excess of 30,000W.

Sammy

by Sammy

mattr wrote:Someone on another forum snapped a powermeter (not sure if crank or pedal based) in a crash (T-boned by a car), the last recorded data point was in excess of 30,000W.
That would make sense then.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

My Powertap meter would consistantly read over 1,600 watts.......coasting. Which is why I went to Garmin.

scant

by scant

you'll pay a weight penalty with XTR, but they work for multiple years. my M980 were looking beat, so I polished them. I've seen too many carbon cranks fail at either the bottom bracket axle, or pedal thread insert. if you're putting out massive watts, I'd look to save weight elsewhere.
ta

scant

mrsa1

by mrsa1

After a little digging it looks like the xx1 dub sl crankset is about as light as it gets, 420 with chainring. From what I can tell most the weight savings is from the dub specific axle? I know guys running xx1 cranks on their 160 travel enduro rigs without issue so I’d trust them.

Now if I could find anything close in weight that comes in a 165 cranksarm length I’d be sold. But not many light options under 170

by Weenie