2017 Rockshox SID World Cup tuning.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

B R H

by B R H

This is a new fork to me as I've been running an old 2005 Fox Float fork with Stratos ID inertial valve damper for many years on my 26" titanium singlespeed. Built up a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper SS with the SID and am really hating it. It's a pogo stick. Are these supposed to lock out completely or bounce around when out of the saddle (which happens a lot on a singlespeed)? I weigh about 75 kg on the bike and have tried 110 and 115 psi in the air spring so far. So far I'm finding little to like about this fork except that it's certainly soft and sensitive - not exactly what I was hoping for in a race-oriented fork. I especially hate that the axle threads in from the left side (a left-handed engineer at SRAM getting revenge?). The overall stiffness is just fine I guess. I ride with the compression damping completely closed (clockwise all the way) and it still rides softer than my old Fox. How do I stop this thing from bouncing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

sounds like more of a rebound issue

B R H

by B R H

Neither the rebound or compression adjustment really do much. Sure, they work but the range of adjustment is tiny compared to my Fox with Stratos ID.

I'm trying 120 psi today but don't expect much change. I think I'll probably have to add those silly token things but also suspect the oil volume is low somewhere. Never taken this apart yet (it's new but has been sitting in a closet for a year or so). Diagrams look a lot more complex than the old Fox I'm used to.

B R H

by B R H

Is this fork supposed to have a firm lockout? Even with the compression knob all the way clockwise, it still bounces like a pogo stick when I try to climb out of the saddle.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Hi, this sounds like your damper is seriously malfunctioning. When was the last time you had a complete fork service?

B R H

by B R H

It's never been serviced - it's brand new except that it was in a closet for about a year.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Well, that's weird!?
Anyhow, if the fork is moving even if the lockout is closed, the damper is definitely not functioning. You should take it to your vendor, might be fixed under warranty.

B R H

by B R H

By "lockout closed" you mean compression dial turned clockwise all the way, right? I don't have the lever on the bars that attaches to the compression dial on the fork. As far as I can tell it simply turns that dial. The dial does function. Clockwise makes the fork more firm, it just doesn't even come close to what I would consider locked out. Maybe if I stayed seated it might feel locked out but as soon as I stand up to pedal, it collapses and starts bouncing.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Hi. No, I meant the quarter turn lockout lever on the fork crown. The compression dial is definitely not meant as or functioning as a lockout. I'd still take it to your vendor or a service center for a check.

by the way: Remote bar levers operate the lockout. Forks with a remote lockout lever do not have the quarter turn lockout lever on the fork crown.

B R H

by B R H

Well this is quite the revelation and also a little embarrassing too! Thanks for pointing this out. I've been so frustrated with the fork.

I completely missed that there is an entirely separate knob for the lockout that can't even be engaged without the remote. It seems to be spring loaded and doesn't rotate much at all. I just assumed this was basically all one single control.

Now I need to hook up the remote I guess. Is the quarter turn lever something I can purchase alone? I don't like extra stuff on my bars and the remote is also obese. Are there lighter remotes?

B R H

by B R H

Well it works just fine with the remote lockout connected! That's funny. Guess I'm getting old. Now I can go back and reset everything else (air pressure, compression, and rebound).

I'll mess with oil and tokens when the time comes for an oil change.

Any tips for service and tuning for my weight and use?

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Never too young too learn, right? ;-)

I'd advice you to get the user manual from the SRAM website and find your suggested settings there. The forks should also have a sdticker with suggested air pressure on the left lower leg. That's the best starting point.

Conversion to crown lockout requires an entirely new Charger damper and that's goanna' cost ya. Judging by your knowledge of the controls, I'd advice you to take it to a mechanic if you'd like that conversion installed.

Happy trails!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

B R H

by B R H

I've got the manuals (of which there are a few versions) but they lack basic information and instead have lots of pictures. It's hard to know for sure which pictures apply to which model and year of fork and also not easy to ID the exact model fork and what options apply.

The fork was previously installed (new take off) so all the remote stuff, including the cable stop collar, was stashed away out of sight in the closet in a plastic bag. If I had dug that out before posting, I would have figured it out right away.

There are no bike mechanics around here so I would need to ship it somewhere. I can work on the fork inside and out no problem.

Thanks for the help though.