SRAM Quarq Power Meter /// Spider offset questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi all,

Not strictly a weight related question but I figured you guys are pretty knowledgeable so here goes... :D

My Stages Power Meter no longer works (it was a Gen1 so has lasted very well!) so I am considering replacing with a Quarq.

I currently have a non-Boost frame but I am considering buying the Boost chainline spider to give myself as many future options as possible. My thinking is thatyou could use spacers on a Boost offset spider to narrow the chain line from ~52mm to ~49mm, but is this a crazy idea?

A Boost spider obviously works on a Boost frame but Boost spider plus spacers on the chairing bolts could also make it work for my current non-Boost frame and give me more options. Does this sound like a really bad idea?

Ordinarily I say it's a terrible idea to have a 3mm spacer between the ring and spider but I noticed that companies like One-Up use of spacers as a matter of course (unless I've misunderstood)
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/u ... -non-boost

Thank you in advance for your help, Daniel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zscs

by zscs

Don't know whether this helps: we bought a Quarq XX1 to my partner 2 years ago and ordered the BOOST version with the BOOST spider accidentaly, instead of the standard. No extra spacer added, nor tricks applied, just installed the GXP cranks to the non-BOOST frame. Okay, the chainline is - let's say - 'not so optimal' (chainring went 3mm outwards), but still, works pretty well and she likes it. ;)

One trick came to my mind. If you would buy a 30T chainring (or 32T oval), these chainrings utilize a ~2mm offset inwards to the frame (threads cut inside the 4 holes), so with these you could compensate 2mm from that 3mm differency quite nicely. ;)

DanW

by DanW

That is a good idea, thanks

The more I think about it the more the furthest out spider (Boost) with a few tricks to move the chainline back in seems like the sensible bet. Ta!

grover

by grover

3mm spacers with longer chainring bolts will be fine. Good idea to future proof yourself.

sqber

by sqber

I've used spaces + longer bolts for several thousands of kilometers during the winter on my CX bike equipped with BOOST Quarq crankset. No issues and as long as you pedal, nobody will notice, even not you :)

DanW

by DanW

Thanks all.

That is far more encouraging than the response I got from retailers which was "*shrugs* that's standards for ya, have to use what the bike was made for"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com