Sidi shoe and Shimano pedal compatibility,

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Hi guys,
I rode all last year with a pair of Gaerne mtn bike shoes with Shimano pedals and there was always a little "gap" between the rubber on the shoes and platform part of the pedal. And it would rock a tiny bit and then click. Anyway, it was annoying.

Have you all ridden Sidi shoes with Shimano and ever had this problem?
Sidi seems to be work for me for road bike shoes so I think I'll just stick with them.
Thanks all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not quite sure if you’re asking for road shoe or mtn bike shoes. But for road I use Sidi shoes with Shimano 9100 pedals/cleats. They work great but you do want to get the 10mm cleat screws versus the 8mm screws that come stock with the cleats.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ms6073

by ms6073

Calnago wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:07 pm
They work great but you do want to get the 10mm cleat screws versus the 8mm screws
Care to expound on that as I ride Sidi Shot with PD-R9100 pedals and both red and blue Shimano red cleats and have never had an issue with the stock screws.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The one time I don’t expound and someone asks me to ....
Stock Shimano screws are on the short side when fitting their cleats to Sidi Shoes. They will catch, but only by a couple of threads or so. I guess I shouldn’t speak for the Shots specifically but ever since I’ve been using the Shimano cleats with Sidi shoes I’ve been using the 10mm screws, on Ergo 2’s at the moment. I’ve had to replace screws for people when their 8mm screws ripped out of their threads. Doesn’t happen often but it can. Somewhere there’s something official about that in writing but I can’t remember where I first read it (from either Shimano or Sidi). But I didn’t need to read anything to realize I needed longer screws than supplied and think I actually used some countersunk screws from the hardware store before I found out Shimano made their own specific bolts in the lengths needed. But only the 8mm screws come with the cleats.
You should be able to get them from most places that sell Shimano cleats etc. Unless Shots have changed from what Sidi has always had in the past, its the 10mm screws you want.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sychen

by sychen

Calnago wrote:The one time I don’t expound and someone asks me to .... Image
Stock Shimano screws are on the short side when fitting their cleats to Sidi Shoes. They will catch, but only by a couple of threads or so. I guess I shouldn’t speak for the Shots specifically but ever since I’ve been using the Shimano cleats with Sidi shoes I’ve been using the 10mm screws, on Ergo 2’s at the moment. I’ve had to replace screws for people when their 8mm screws ripped out of their threads. Doesn’t happen often but it can. Somewhere there’s something official about that in writing but I can’t remember where I first read it (from either Shimano or Sidi). But I didn’t need to read anything to realize I needed longer screws than supplied and think I actually used some countersunk screws from the hardware store before I found out Shimano made their own specific bolts in the lengths needed. But only the 8mm screws come with the cleats.
You should be able to get them from most places that sell Shimano cleats etc. Unless Shots have changed from what Sidi has always had in the past, its the 10mm screws you want.
I have the Shots but using time Xpro.. The screw situation is the same. I also have angled wedge between the sole and cleat, so have to use a longer set of bolts that come time includes.. Luckily.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

SIDI used to ship with slightly longer bolts in a bag with all the other bits n pieces.
The last box of shims i bought also came with (at least) full sets of 10 and 12 mm bolts.

TheRich

by TheRich

Those "platforms" on SPD trail pedals, they don't even contact Shimano shoes...what they do is protect the more delicate parts of the pedal.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks guys for the responses. I was referring to XTR pedals and mtn bike shoes.
There is a rocking of the shoe once it is clipped in. If you look close you can see there is a between the tiny pedal platforms and the lugged sole.
They did this since new so I do not think it is the cleats being worn out.

ms6073

by ms6073

Sorry, failed to note that the thread was in the MTB forum, but same applies as I also use Sidi Drako shoes with PD-M9100 pedalls and cleats with the stock bolts on my gravel bike and have not noticed any rocking with neutral tension on the releases.

Added:
Although I only have a couple hours on the new pedals/cleats, I am planning a multi-surface ride on the gravel bike today at lunch and will check with the shoes off my feet as to whether or not there is any lateral rocking while clipped in!
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Perfect, thanks mate. I just order the Canyon Lux with XX1 and I am excited to get it dialed in. Thanks.

sychen

by sychen

Oops missed the mtb part.. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

That axial rock is one of the reasons i don't get on with shimano mtb pedals!
Drives me mad, and hurts my ankles. Even the most stable pedal/shoe combo starts to wobble after a few weeks. Plus the more stable combos are a sod to engage and release.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

mattr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 am
That axial rock is one of the reasons i don't get on with shimano mtb pedals!
Drives me mad, and hurts my ankles. Even the most stable pedal/shoe combo starts to wobble after a few weeks. Plus the more stable combos are a sod to engage and release.
Interesting, what do you think is a better pedal? For me this is going to be a light XC racer bike btw. Thanks

jcrr

by jcrr

@mattcooke- Have you considered eggbeaters? Aside from the 11Ti being probably as light as it can get for XC, you can buy rubber contact sleeves to change how tall the pedal contact areas are, which allows you to fine-tune the shoe-pedal interface to eliminate any play. I did just that to fit a pair of Lake shoes that had lugs a bit on the short side. Keep all the cons of eggbeaters in mind.

I continue to happily use old S-Works shoes, the ones that had replaceable lugs, with XT pedals. Beauty of those is you can easily remove the lugs, shape a piece of thin plastic, place it btwn the lug and carbon sole as a thin shim, and eliminate any space btwn shoe-pedal.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

While I have only managed a few hours on my new PD-M9100 pedals and cleats, I did not notice any axial rocking of my Sidi Drako's during today's lunch ride.
- Michael