130mm 29er trail bike @ 25-26lbs?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Can I build a 130-140mm 29er trail bike to ~26lbs with trail-level components, that can further drop down to 24-25lbs if I occasionally swap some parts (wheels, tires, seatpost) for XC bits? Having two more specific bikes is not an option. However, some extra parts lying around to make this happen is just fine. So, for example, a pair of Minions for normal days, swapped to something narrower from Schwalbe for XC-days, to drop a pound. That kind of thing. This means that the trail-level build can't be more than 27lbs I think.

I like modern geometries (steep seattubes and longer front centers). And I've only had dw-link bikes so far, so pedaling efficiency matters a lot to me.

Also, I would want to avoid boutique components for the drivetrain or cockpit. So regular Shimano/Sram stuff and similarly common cockpit bits.

Is this doable? What frames are good candidates here? Rocky Mountain Instinct?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

That depends a lot on what frame you go with and what counts as "trail" for you. For example, if I put a dropper (+500g) and heavier tires (+800g) on my XC bike (100/120mm travel), that sums to 10200g or ~22.5 lbs and leaves ~1100g for non-boutique components and heavier frame. I think this might be just possible.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

You also have to add in some extra grams for a 130/140mm fork. I'd want a Fox 34 level fork.

But yea, I do think this isn't super out of reach. Frame ideas would be neat.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

anykarthik wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 am
You also have to add in some extra grams for a 130/140mm fork. I'd want a Fox 34 level fork.
Or go with 120mm 34SC. Might as well build a "downcountry" spec Spark RC, but I'm not sure that's what you had in mind.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Yea I think a downcountry 120mm is very doable - lots of options. Scott Spark (as you mention) being a great one.

I'm curious whether a real trail bike like Santa Cruz Hightower (non LT), or Rocky Mountain Instinct, or something similar can be built to 26-27lbs in trail mode and 24-25 in XC/Downcountry mode. I'd probably be fine with the newer crop of 100mm lightweight droppers on both modes. So that should drop .5 to .75 lbs at least, compared to what you get stock for a trail bike.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a 120mm/110mm trail bike (orange stage 4) with fox34 fork and a fix dropper and it weighs 30lbs.

A carbon frame would save 2 to 3lbs. A lighter carbon wheelset could save 1lbs so it is possible but I struggle to see the point. These bikes are not racers no point in pretending they are something they are not.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Well out here in Seattle, most trails that I like have an hour long 9% ish climb to start. So dropping 4-5lbs will help. Also, this IS WW after all :)

But really the thing that sparked this for me is that I think I'm going to attempt something like Breck Epic next year. And I really won't be allowed to buy another bike (29er hardtail). So making my single quiver bike set up for something like that race is actually the point

For reference, I ride an Ibis Mojo HDR. Carbon frame, fox 34, ibis carbon wheels, xt gruppo, ks Lev etc. 31 lbs.

TheRich

by TheRich

anykarthik wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 am
Can I build a 130-140mm 29er trail bike to ~26lbs with trail-level components, that can further drop down to 24-25lbs if I occasionally swap some parts (wheels, tires, seatpost) for XC bits? Having two more specific bikes is not an option. However, some extra parts lying around to make this happen is just fine. So, for example, a pair of Minions for normal days, swapped to something narrower from Schwalbe for XC-days, to drop a pound. That kind of thing. This means that the trail-level build can't be more than 27lbs I think.

I like modern geometries (steep seattubes and longer front centers). And I've only had dw-link bikes so far, so pedaling efficiency matters a lot to me.

Also, I would want to avoid boutique components for the drivetrain or cockpit. So regular Shimano/Sram stuff and similarly common cockpit bits.

Is this doable? What frames are good candidates here? Rocky Mountain Instinct?
Pivot 429t if you like the DW Link.

Personally, I'd go with an XC bike, use a 120mm fork and leave the dropper on. The big thing holding XC (vs Trail) bikes back is the tires, swap those out and you're most of the way there.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

My Ibis HDR is supposedly 6 lbs for frame+shock (https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/past_m ... o_hdr650b/). Which is lesser than what the Pivot 429T is supposed to be.. or even Ibis' own Ripley. So I'm not sure how I've ended up with a 31 lb bike with no obviously heavy parts and even a nice 1650g Ibis carbon wheelset. Hence my skepticism and this post. Maybe Ibis was wrong?

I know the 2016-17 Trek Fuel with 130mm out back was ~26lbs in top 9.9 spec. A friend of mine has one. So that's the only proof I have that it is possible.

Anyone else with any builds out there?

scant

by scant

Its very possible. if you;re careful with parts selection. its harder to suggest a frame as handling & fit is such a personal thing. I'd recommend demo whatever bikes you're interested in to find what you prefer.

certain items like derailleur, shifter, saddle I would happily buy 2nd hand, save some money, so maybe you could choose a few boutique items to help keep the weight down

Getter

by Getter

I'm going to be building up an Evil Following V1 and trying to aim for the mid 20's. Realistically...I see it being closer to 30lbs also. :|

anykarthik

by anykarthik

There are 3 frames that I've found so far that would be good candidates here:
1. 2017/18 Yeti Sb5+ w/ 29er wheels. 130/150. The claim is a ~2.5kg frame w/shock.
2. 2019 BH Lynx 5. 130/130 or 130/150. The claim is for a 2.1kg frame. Not sure if the shock is included. If it is, then the potential here is the best.
3. 2018/19 Scott Genius 900 Tuned. 150/150. The claim is for a 2.25kg frame w/shock. Stock X01 build w/ normal dropper, heavy alu wheels and 29x2.6 tires is supposedly 27lbs. That is insane for that much travel and there is plenty of room for dropping to the 25s which just lighter wheels/tires/dropper. And the rear shock has adjustable travel, so it can be firmed up for climbing.

The BH is not yet being sold in the US, the Scott is expensive and the Yeti can't hold a bottle. So there's also that.

jcrr

by jcrr

@anykarthik- I own a 2016 Yeti ASR C medium in black. Yeti claims 1.91kg for frame w/shock. https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountain-b ... ike-tests/

My set up is 120mm (stock) fox 32, Shimano kroyak dropper, SLX drivetrain but a quarq XX1 crank, XT pedals, mavic crossride with hans dampf + magic mary, front-fork lockout w/ remote and it weighs 27.9lbs. Oh yeah, water bottle cage included :-)

I find it good for my style and preference of trails, the same bigger climbs you alude to around Seattle. Sure, I'd love to put it on a 5-6lb diet, but as it is, I have to work on my skills before anything.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

anykarthik

by anykarthik

jcrr wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm
I find it good for my style and preference of trails, the same bigger climbs you alude to around Seattle. Sure, I'd love to put it on a 5-6lb diet, but as it is, I have to work on my skills before anything.
Nice! I'm assuming you ride at Tiger, Raging River etc? How do you find the 100mm out back on something like Preston or OTG on Tiger? Or the back side of Raging River? I generally lean towards more travel to make up for my LACK of skill ;)

I'm actually fine to haul up my 31lb bike up those climbs. My main reason to consider something else is I want to train for something like Breck Epic 2020 and I can't make room for another, lighter XC bike. A single-quiver solution is necessary. And 6 days of riding at altitude with 40k feet of climbing sounds brutal enough with a light bike - let alone with a heavy bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

anykarthik wrote:
jcrr wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm
Nice! I'm assuming you ride at Tiger, Raging River etc? How do you find the 100mm out back on something like Preston or OTG on Tiger? Or the back side of Raging River? I generally lean towards more travel to make up for my LACK of skill ;)

I'm actually fine to haul up my 31lb bike up those climbs. My main reason to consider something else is I want to train for something like Breck Epic 2020 and I can't make room for another, lighter XC bike. A single-quiver solution is necessary. And 6 days of riding at altitude with 40k feet of climbing sounds brutal enough with a light bike - let alone with a heavy bike.
As someone who owns an ASRc and lives in CO, the next bike I’ll be getting is an Intense Sniper.

120/120mm. Can be built sub-24lbs with ease with a Fox 34 SC and durable tires. To me, geometry will lend you more confidence than extra travel. Extra travel isn’t really needed for the Breck area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk