Tubeless - weight and hassle?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

MikeD wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:01 am
Depends on how you ride. I don't push the edge of the envelope so don't need super low pressures. I never bought into that anyway. I hate going around a corner and feel the tires squirm/fold over. If I need more traction, I'll put on a new tire with deeper, more aggressive lugs. I don't ride in sloppy conditions either. Clay mud around here is so sticky it's unrideable anyway.
Yeah, we don't have clay here, but i can remember what it's like to ride in! As for the folding/squirming, i never get that, even at 20psi, which i rarely go lower than, and i'm also running wider (but not really wide) rims. And deeper/more aggressive tread just slows you down!

And FWIW, i get that sidewall effect at 20-25 psi, so actually pretty easy to get it, even at reasonable pressures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

mattr wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:01 am
Depends on how you ride. I don't push the edge of the envelope so don't need super low pressures. I never bought into that anyway. I hate going around a corner and feel the tires squirm/fold over. If I need more traction, I'll put on a new tire with deeper, more aggressive lugs. I don't ride in sloppy conditions either. Clay mud around here is so sticky it's unrideable anyway.
Yeah, we don't have clay here, but i can remember what it's like to ride in! As for the folding/squirming, i never get that, even at 20psi, which i rarely go lower than, and i'm also running wider (but not really wide) rims. And deeper/more aggressive tread just slows you down!

And FWIW, i get that sidewall effect at 20-25 psi, so actually pretty easy to get it, even at reasonable pressures.
I was really commenting on Boop running his tires at 10 psi. I'm running 25/28, but I weigh 195 lbs using standard width rims with 2.2" wide tires.

kzy090

by kzy090

I think it is worth it.
Having able to go really low pressures, and not having punctures when riding over thorns is a superb merit for going off road.
I have used Stans Race, and Mariposa Caffelatex.
Stans kind of keeps leaking through holes even after a while and balls up inside, but it doesn't dry up.
I opend mine after 6months, and a gentle wipe was enough.

On the other hand Caffelatex could be applied from the valve hole, seals holes fast and completely(up to 5mm in my experience), but dries up in 2-3 months.
I bought the Muc-off sealant, so I'll try it out for my next tire.

alber84

by alber84

just for the tranquility that the tubeless liquid gives you, it's worth it without hesitation. although add a few grams plus about 50 ml per wheel is enough. the tranquility that it gives you for the punctures is total. you can combine it with wicks for larger holes in case of not plugging well. I've been with this system for many years and even if it's going through fields and off-road, it works great.