High top MTB shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spud

by spud

I'm riding Lake MX145 boots/high tops, which I quite like apart from one aspect - the cleats are mounted fairly far inboard of sole, so when riding Time Attack pedals, the shoe is hanging off the edge fairly far. Apart from not liking a wide Q factor, I find the outside of the shoe is more apt to catch on rocks etc when in technical sections.

Anyone know of any other high top shoes that produce a narrower stance? I've ridden Shimano MTB shoes and they work well, but I'd really like something relatively stiff, and with some support/protection around the ankle

TIA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

Higher top in general, or higher top winter shoes?

Shimano ME-7s if you just want a little more ankle protection. They're not warm though, not even as warm as they look. Not as stiff as a high end XC shoe, but they are definitely enduro RACING shoes that happen to be pretty good to walk in as well.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I have Shimano MW-701 shoes and been happy with those. They offer bit of ankle protection (mostly against debris), have grippy outsole. Been good without shoe covers for a couple of minus Celsius degrees. Gore-Tex layer to keep my feet dry and BOA to keep them nice and tightly around my feet. For sure they are heavier than my summer shoes.

Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

spud

by spud

thanks for ideas guys, those Shimanos are already on my radar. I mostly ride MTB during the winter, but haven't used dedicated winter shoes prior. Want the high top for a little more ankle protection, as well as support for the inevitable emergency dismount/ejection.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Northwave makes a nice Enduro mid top shoe:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!