A few group set questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TimF

by TimF

Hi all,

Looking to get a new groupset for my Felt MTB, which is running mainly Deore :o . So far I have an X01 11 speed cassette and that's all (due to rear hub being SRAM), this is about 300grams so pretty decend. I usually run Shimano so was thinking of the following, seems to make sense with price versus performance. I want a 1x front crankset. Opinions appreciated!

Chainset
XT is a budget option, could possibly stretch to XTR but this is a LOT more. Not sure on the weight difference. Shimano when I used to look into it weren't very light, is SRAM a better option? I believe I can run a 12 speed SRAM with 11 speed shimano as long as I get a new bottom bracket (let me know if not). :beerchug:

Rear Shifter
XTR over XT is the advice as this is a big improvement.

Rear mech
XT is seen as functionally as good as XTR

So this is just a starting point, what else would you consider? I don't want the full expense of Eagle. I have also ignored aftermarket cranks etc. as they only seem to come in v expensive or fragile like Race Face. Really could do with some advice.

Please help! Thanks, Tim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimF

by TimF

Picked up 12 speed eagle for a decent price so please ignore (not that anyone replied anyway :) )

TheRich

by TheRich

TimF wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:07 pm
Hi all,

Looking to get a new groupset for my Felt MTB, which is running mainly Deore :o . So far I have an X01 11 speed cassette and that's all (due to rear hub being SRAM), this is about 300grams so pretty decend. I usually run Shimano so was thinking of the following, seems to make sense with price versus performance. I want a 1x front crankset. Opinions appreciated!

Chainset
XT is a budget option, could possibly stretch to XTR but this is a LOT more. Not sure on the weight difference. Shimano when I used to look into it weren't very light, is SRAM a better option? I believe I can run a 12 speed SRAM with 11 speed shimano as long as I get a new bottom bracket (let me know if not). :beerchug:

Rear Shifter
XTR over XT is the advice as this is a big improvement.

Rear mech
XT is seen as functionally as good as XTR

So this is just a starting point, what else would you consider? I don't want the full expense of Eagle. I have also ignored aftermarket cranks etc. as they only seem to come in v expensive or fragile like Race Face. Really could do with some advice.

Please help! Thanks, Tim
You've got it right, XTR shifter and XT derailleur is a great setup. 11-speed X1 is also a good option if you like a more crisp feel to the shifter and don't mind a little more thumb effort.

Whether Eagle would be useful or not depends on your intended usage and fitness...and on your frame's chainring limitations. Eagle always allows a much lower low gear, but doesn't always give you more top end because many frames are limited to 34t chainrings.

TimF

by TimF

Thanks all picked up X01 new for a decent price since someone had it spare.