Bike lights

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dnice85

by Dnice85

Hi, I'm looking for any recommendations on bike light brands. I found one named Nightprovision, but not sure if it's a good brand or if you could recommend any other brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

What's your budget?

dim

by dim

Dinotte or Cygolite
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Neddysmith

by Neddysmith

All depends on what you want them for, for Mountain biking i find cheap Solarstorm ones of Ebay are awesome for the money, super bright and good battery lift, but can also adapt them for lipo batteries for even better run times.

marecej

by marecej

Lupine
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

kode54

by kode54

+1 for Lupine.

i use a rear tail light for all bikes. has quick release for saddle mounts.
for the front light, i use a Neo with quick release which i move from bike to bike. quick and easy.

If I plan to ride over 2 hrs in the dark, i'll switch batteries to a larger one...with will project 900 Lumens at high. will last at least 3 hrs. very small light head.
marecej wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Lupine
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

slowwrx

by slowwrx

I have a glowworm 1700 lumen on my helmet and 2600 lumen on my bars and have been really happy with them. I've had Light and Motion Seca 1800s in the past and they were great as well but the glowworm lights are more compact and all aluminum.

All that being said, I just sold a customer the Lupine 5000 lumen light and it is amazing. It will run for 24 hours at 1000 lumens. I'll be switching to it shortly.

It is a $1000.00....so

froze

by froze

I assume since you posted on MTB thread you're placing an emphasis more on off road than on road?

If so, ideally you would want to use two headlights, one on the bar and one on the helmet, the higher up angle of the helmet light helps improve seeing ruts etc for the same reason 4x4 vehicles use bar lights on the roof of their trucks. In addition to that ideally off road lights need to brighter than on road which of course means you will be spending more money on your lights than a roadie. If money is an issue and getting two lights that are very bright runs your finances amok then at least for the time being get one very bright handlebar light like the Exposure Six Pack MK9, it's the only light that I ever found that got 10 stars out of 10 stars in reviews, while it is very bright at over 4,700 lumens it's not cheap at just under $500 from Chain Reaction Cycles, but if you shop you might find it cheaper? 4,700+ lumens will turn your trail ride into a day ride!! The battery life is at 2 hours on high and as long as 36 hours on low; this light's battery life, and the light's durability, is so good that they are used in 24 hour endurance races. It takes about 12 hours to recharge from total exhaustion, BUT, NEVER EVER run any battery down to that point if it can be helped, the most you should run down is 50% and ideally you should be recharging it after every ride even if the discharge is only 10%. Also if you need to store the battery it should be charged to close to 50% and no more, but not less than 40%. They also recommend that as soon as the battery is done charging to unplug the charger because some chargers will continue to trickle charge and that will eventually kill the battery, so the trickle thing should be something that would need to be asked to Exposure light company to find out if their charger continues to trickle after it's fully charged.

Another wee bit less expensive option is the Lumicycle Apogee Extender, this one also runs darn near 4,500 lumens.

Now look that's just a few lights on the market, if MTB trail riding isn't what you'll be using this light for then I would refer you to see some light comparison sites, these sites you can compare various lights and see which one puts out the light you want for the price you want to pay. SOOO without any more wasting time here are those sites.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/21 ... how-choose

https://www.tredz.co.uk/lights-comparison-test

https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/beams ... 5D=blaze2w

https://www.modernbike.com/bicycle-ligh ... leshotplus

It's possible that some of the above lights in the comparisons have been discontinued, so check.

kode54

by kode54

Once you've tried a Lupine, impossible to use anything else off road. I have the 3600 lumen for offroad and only use the smaller 1200 lumen for on road (this is WW afterall).
slowwrx wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 am
I have a glowworm 1700 lumen on my helmet and 2600 lumen on my bars and have been really happy with them. I've had Light and Motion Seca 1800s in the past and they were great as well but the glowworm lights are more compact and all aluminum.

All that being said, I just sold a customer the Lupine 5000 lumen light and it is amazing. It will run for 24 hours at 1000 lumens. I'll be switching to it shortly.

It is a $1000.00....so
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TimF

by TimF

Try the Ravemen PR1200 - as good as most but half the price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com