Current Lightest MTB XC Shoe?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Hi - My Mavic Fury shoes are finally giving up the ghost. I might try to glue the sole back but I don't trust them for long hard rides unless someone has a good glue to suggest.

What is the Current Lightest MTB XC Shoe that is similar in fit to the Mavic Fury?

Much appreciated...with weights and links if you have

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Update- picked up a pair of Specialized Sub 6 XC New in box for $186
we'll see how they are

scant

by scant

theres not that many companies that do 2 bolt cleat road shoes anymore. but in the old days certain pros used to use such road shoes with a small amount of rubber glued to the bottom. they werent comfortable to walk in & no real grip, but they were considerably lighter than any mtb shoes of the era
..... si in the same vein I suspect these are also very light http://lintaman.com/store/shop/minimal- ... rsion-2-0/

i'm using the older s-works xc shoe & really like it. its a shame they changed the design as the new s-works has a much smaller toe-box area & none of the new shoes fit me :(

joeg26er

by joeg26er

joeg26er wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:24 am
Update- picked up a pair of Specialized Sub 6 XC New in box for $186
we'll see how they are
Updates
Got the gen1? Specialized Sub6 Mtb shoes
With the toe studs size 8 weighs 332g each
For comparison my gen1 Mavic fury weighs 352g without toe studs but with crank brothers race cleats
Seems like a wash?

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Wow the minimal seems like it would be very light
But no tread for mtb. Anyone have a good adhesive for bonding rubber to clear coated carbon?

scant

by scant

I wonder if Lintaman would do that for you...?

joeg26er

by joeg26er

My s6 didn’t come with a wrench for the toe spikes. All my Mavic shoes came with them. Should I have gotten a wrench?

glander

by glander

joeg26er wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 am
My s6 didn’t come with a wrench for the toe spikes. All my Mavic shoes came with them. Should I have gotten a wrench?
No but any open end 19mm wrench will work. I highly highly recommend tightening them before riding as I have lost a few in the past.....

joeg26er

by joeg26er

I removed the spikes and installed the crank bros race cleats. Will report back with the weight later

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

I just weighed my SW6 XC shoes, size 44 with a fairbit of dirt, SPD cleats and 3 out of 4 cleats still intact (also, custom Specialized footbeds). They weighed in at 389g and 390g respectively. FWIW, the show with only one cleat weighed 390g.

jcrr

by jcrr

@joeg26er
If you are still tempted to try and fix the Mavics, I have had good luck using Barge All Purpose cement to glue the uppers of an older s-works XC shoe back to the carbon last.

While the one in the link has worked well for me, my understanding is that the ORIGINAL formula of Barge is superior. If you have a cobbler nearby, they may be able to help, as it is not easy to find it.

JC

EDIT- After some use, I found the Barge to not hold as well as it did initially. I found SHOE GOO to be a far superior option.
Last edited by jcrr on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Thanks- I will try that

jcrr

by jcrr

@joeg26er

Shoe Goo! Use it insted of the Barge I had previously recommended. Works much much better. I intended to come in here and edit my post, but I needed to find a better working alternative first. Make sure you can clamp down both parts together, and give it 48-72h for max adhesion before using them. That's what I did and couldn't be happier with the results

JC

jfranci3

by jfranci3

How many grams is Shoe Goo vs Fabric Epoxy?

https://www.instagram.com/rbibko/?hl=en

jcrr

by jcrr

@jfranci3

Yes, every gram counts, but I think you may be splitting atoms w that question :shock: . I suppose you would have to figure out the density of each and how much you need to use to be able to compare. IMHO, as long as it provides proper, lasting adhesion, a gram or two is trivial. From your instagram feed, your MacGyver skills are on point and I salute your effort with those s-works lasts & Nike uppers. Did you use the Barge cement with or without Toluene? I also think there should be a separate thread about DIY and tinkering with gear, where you should post a pic of that project.

In trying to get this back on-topic, I weighed my 2012 size 43.5 s-works XC shoes, now reglued :thumbup: , w spd cleats, toe spikes & some dirt. 392g each.

@dang3rtown is reporting 390g for pretty much same in s-works6: 2g less over 5-6(?)yrs of refinement by spez.

@joeg26er- do your s-works6 size 8 weigh 332g with or without cleats?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com