White spots in paintless MTB rims

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

I just got a pair of wheels from LIGHTBICYCLE couple weeks ago. They work very well on my riding. Weighing around 290g make me quite happy with its XC925 especially tuned for XC. I just noticed that the so-called paintless rims may much likely exhibit some white spots when the wheels kept or run in a wet condition for a certain period of time. I saw some discuss on this. And ENVE has such problem but guys who encountered this problem getting the reply officially saying that it is an inherent caused in paintless rims. My XC925 appears good in the surface, not any white spots there. I am curious to see if it is true as those guys said, but is it worth doing so? Would anybody have some stories on testing this?

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Anybody there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

A picture would help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spud

by spud

no direct experience with this but in years past when I used to make carbon fiber insoles with epoxy resin, they would get cloudy white with moisture exposure. That went away after they dried out.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

LeDuke wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:34 am
A picture would help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a picture I found on web as an example. The cloudy white is definitely coming from inside. Mine have not occurred like that. But be worried whether they will go through so if staying in a wet situation for a period of time.
Attachments
sample picture.png

cajer

by cajer

Does the white wipe off easily with water?

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

cajer wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 am
Does the white wipe off easily with water?
It was said the white was inside the carbon, can not be removed without harming the surface. I risked putting my front wheel on water partly for hours, and fortunately, there was not white spot occurred eventually. Thank goodness, haha. Now I am happy to convince myself the white spot could be well avoided. So it could be a helpful reference for guys who want to buy paintless wheels, at least no problem from those in LightBicycle.

cajer

by cajer

The only things I could think of is improperly cured resin that reacted to moisture or something.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

cajer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:54 am
The only things I could think of is improperly cured resin that reacted to moisture or something.
Yes, most likely it is. And as the 'paintless' rims could not be coated to cover this appearance, it hard to hide. So the paintless finish rims should have a heavier cost to rule out the resin defective rims on the final production process.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com