XC 29er - help to go below 9kg

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Connor wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 am
You could save a solid chuck of weight by getting new wheels. A set of these rims https://www.lightbicycle.com/XC925-asym ... s-mtb.html, novatec straightpull hubs, sapim cx rays, and alloy nipples would set you back around 7-800 dollars and weigh around 1100 grams.
:up: Yes, Light Bicycle! These guys' MTB goes crazy. They provided XC925 etc in different weight for my front and rear respectively. I just be aware of that their rims run on the so-called paintless finish which does not need any painting on the rim. The scratch resistance unleashed (The paint coating is much soft than the carbon resin itself. That is arkward that the paint is more vulnerable despite its initial intention to protect or to cover the defective spots.) So far I am very happy with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattMay

by MattMay

A SRAM XO1 1195 10-42 cassette is listed at 268g but I have three of these and they all are in the 260-262g range. Another 65g or so for you.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/prod ... e-cassette

adios1984

by adios1984

I have 1195/99 on my wish list. As soon as my current casette is worn out, i'll replace it with lighter model.
If i find good deal for new set of wheels maybe i'll take it. But they would have to be at least 250g lighter than my current set, while not breaking the bank at the same time.
Lightbicycle offer looks good, but the problem is, it's not in europe. Import taxes, antidupmig and VAT will most likely double this price, so i have to look for something here. It least now i know thet 29er wheels this light are possible :)

spoon

by spoon

:smartass: Dissasemble any areas that contain ball bearings, such as the headset, bottom bracket, pedals, hubs etc. Remove any seals and pop them into the nearest bin, you won't be needing those if you service your bike regularly. Remove all ball bearings and find a drill bit that is approx. 75% of the size of each ball. Drill a hole through each bearing, then reassemble bike. Enjoy your new-found hill climbing capabilities!!!!

jemima

by jemima

adios1984 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm
...Lightbicycle offer looks good, but the problem is, it's not in europe. Import taxes, antidupmig and VAT will most likely double this price, so i have to look for something here. It least now i know thet 29er wheels this light are possible :)

Have a look through the Slowbuild eu site.
Curve Grovel ti.

mattr

by mattr

adios1984 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm
Lightbicycle offer looks good, but the problem is, it's not in europe. Import taxes, antidupmig and VAT will most likely double this price, so i have to look for something here. It least now i know thet 29er wheels this light are possible :)
It's usually somewhere around 25-30% "extra" depending on where you are and who does the calculations for you! Still not hugely expensive.

Slammed

by Slammed

Your thru axles, rotors, and brakes are super heavy.

dang3rtown

by dang3rtown

Swap the crank arms for Easton EC90 SL. They weigh 356g so that would be around 200g of savings and they aren't super expensive.

Edit: I meant RF Next R cranks. Basically, the exact same but specifically marketed as a MTB crank.

alber84

by alber84

as you have it now it is quite complicated to lose more weight. the lighter it is, the more money it will cost to lighten it. some good light tires can also help you achieve your goal

02GF74

by 02GF74

spoon wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 am
:smartass: Dissasemble any areas that contain ball bearings, such as the headset, bottom bracket, pedals, hubs etc. Remove any seals and pop them into the nearest bin, you won't be needing those if you service your bike regularly. Remove all ball bearings and find a drill bit that is approx. 75% of the size of each ball. Drill a hole through each bearing, then reassemble bike. Enjoy your new-found hill climbing capabilities!!!!
Drilling ball bearings is very difficult and they are likely to stop rolling due to the hole. Better off replacing with ceramic BB.

zeroweight01

by zeroweight01

What i would do :
-brakes, Avid XX Worldcup are cheap and super light
-saddle, i ride the mcfk, light and durable. At the Moment in the sale

https://www.mcfk.de/sale/

-tires schwalbe liteskin . The Old rocket ron is light and is a good allrounder, you can ride when the ground is wet and dry

- axel, there are different brands like tune oder extralite.

I think thats the parts where you can lost the most weight.