Spec Epic FSR shock setup

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

So finally built the Epic up and had a few rides but I seem to be having a few issues with the rear shock setup
I read the instructions says pump to 300psi and sit on the bike open the silver valve press till all the air has come out the shock is setup
So anyways I ridden it a few times found the shock slowly stops returning and I’ll end up with like 20mm rear travel
Can anyone advise me what am I doing wrong or is there something I’ve missed or need to check?
I’ve tried searching the internet there is basically nothing else in setup or alterations

Just hope I’ve not broken it only ridden it three times :cry:
Attachments
E8B0C481-01ED-4A59-A5F0-09291AFD1725.jpeg
Last edited by Carlin on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris47

by chris47

I had nothing but trouble with my brain shock so i ripped it off and made a new shock linkage out of CF so i could run a normal shock:
Need to do some finishing on it so it looks nice, but i have been torture testing it on all sorts of technical riding and it has held up perfectly.
Not the most practical solution but i did not want to pay a ton for servicing and being without my bike while the shock is in for service.
Best of luck with your brain shock

Carlin

by Carlin

chris47 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:51 pm
I had nothing but trouble with my brain shock so i ripped it off and made a new shock linkage out of CF so i could run a normal shock:
Need to do some finishing on it so it looks nice, but i have been torture testing it on all sorts of technical riding and it has held up perfectly.
Not the most practical solution but i did not want to pay a ton for servicing and being without my bike while the shock is in for service.
Best of luck with your brain shock
What do you mean trouble? And I assume you didn’t go back to Specalized with the issues.
Glad you decided to change it but I wouldn’t be modifying a frame when it’s not cheap thing I’d expect it to be sorted

chris47

by chris47

Nono was not suggesting you should do the same, just wanted to share what i had done to my bike.
I bought the bike off a friend and the warranty had expired. My shock would have some play in the initial 10mm of travel where it would simply move freely. It also made funny sounds. I never liked the feeling of the brain system to begin with. It always had that clunk when it opened the inertia valve which i hated. So all those issues combined with the fact that i had to send the system in to specialized for servicing at a stupidly high cost led me to build my own alternative.
I really like what i have ended up with. It is so much more supple and the epic frame seems to be very pedaling-efficient by design as i only have a couple mm of bob. Ideally my linkage would have been cnc machined but it was impossible to get done locally so i just made one out of CF. :)