Shimano di2 1x setup for flat bar CX

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

markdjr

by markdjr

I am trying to setup a di2 cx bike with flat bars and am trying to minimize cost/components. Does anyone know if it would be possible to use only a xtr rear derailleur, ew-90 junction box and sprint shifters or climbing shifter? Thanks for any info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Yes it will work with either of those switch combinations as a setup (including the battery of course),
flat bar setups lend themselves to putting the battery in the bars which can help shorten the cable runs and junctions required, and you can add the Alfine shifter to the list of possible options.
I think BikeInn are doing XTR Di2 shifters at about half price at the moment which is about the same price as the sprint or climbing shifter normally go for, so might be worth checking out.

ms6073

by ms6073

markdjr wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:56 pm
Does anyone know if it would be possible to use only a xtr rear derailleur, ew-90 junction box and sprint shifters or climbing shifter?
Assuming you do not want to do any Di2 hacking, either SW-R600 remote climbing shifters or the SW-R9150 satellite shifters will work. Sprint shifters will not work as they are simply momentary switches that must be interface with ST-9070 or ST-R9150 shifters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

markdjr

by markdjr

Thanks for the replies. The xtr shifter requires the xtr head unit right? I was hoping to use the ew-90 in lieu of the xtr headunit. Understood with the sprint shifters. I am comfortable hacking the climbing shifter. Good call on the battery in the bars!

motorapido

by motorapido

The XTR shifter will work with the EW-90, i have tried it so can confirm that it will work.

Jowwy

by Jowwy

I have the battery in the bars of my flat bar di2...... done it about 9mths ago. Works a treat

markdjr

by markdjr

motorapido wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 am
The XTR shifter will work with the EW-90, i have tried it so can confirm that it will work.
Thanks for the heads up. Glad to know this is an option. I think I may try the climber switch hack and use the little momentary switches under the flat bar grips. Should be pretty stealth!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com