MTB saddle question

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wintershade

by wintershade

Hi -- I'm a roadie/TT rider, but want to get a MTB for some winter riding and maybe an XTERRA tri or two next year. I normal ride a Specialized Power Saddle (S-Works version) which has fairly minimal padding and is ultra-light, which I prefer. They also make heavier "Expert" and "Comp" versions of the saddle which also have more padding. Assuming I'd want to stick with the same saddle shape, should I "downgrade" to a more padded version for the MTB. I was thinking it would make sense given the bumpier ride.... but then again, it's not like roads in my area are as smooth as glass.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

I find I get away with a less padded saddle mtbing. You move around more, you get out of the saddle more. The key is that it's still strong enough for crashing or big loads where you don't unload your body weight. I'd be totally happy running the same saddle on the mtb as the roadie as long as it was strong enough.

DJT21

by DJT21

Depends on your position on each bike, it's unlikely they're the same. MTB is more upright so I'd pick a "flat" saddle like the Phenom. But if you don't ride an aggressive position on the road, then you might find a road saddle will work fine on the MTB.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

grover wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:37 am
I'd be totally happy running the same saddle on the mtb as the roadie as long as it was strong enough.
This.

I happily use the same saddles on my road bikes as on my mountainbike and have never found any need for extra padding when riding the latter. Quite the contrary. You will probably find yourself standing in the pedals and moving around much more on the mountainbike, so I'd say anything big/bulky should be avoided.

stoney

by stoney

I had a Specialized Power S-Works saddle on my road bike and my mountain bike. The carbon shell broke on my MTB. I ended up getting a Pro Stealth saddle for my MTB and CX bike because the shape is basically the same as the Power saddle but the carbon shell is a little sturdier. If my Power saddle ever breaks on my road bike I'll replace it with a Pro Stealth saddle. It's just as comfortable.

wintershade

by wintershade

Awesome. Thanks all! Yeah, those carbon rails on the S-Works Power don't look as sturdy. I'll start off with the Power Comp (Ti rails and non-carbon shell, barely more padding) and see how it goes.

mattr

by mattr

DJT21 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 am
Depends on your position on each bike, it's unlikely they're the same. MTB is more upright so I'd pick a "flat" saddle like the Phenom. But if you don't ride an aggressive position on the road, then you might find a road saddle will work fine on the MTB.
I spend a lot of time making sure my position IS the same from road to MTB, well, at least things like hip, knee angles and suchlike. So i can use the same saddle. (i have an Arione on one of my MTBs at the moment and an old Pave on another..........)

It only becomes an issue with longer ride on a hardtail.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Unless you are super upright on your road bike or incredibly low on your MTB, I can’t comprehend how you’d have the same hip or torso angles, or any other measurement for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Indeed, a flat back on an mtb is is a pretty scary position!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

mattr

by mattr

Flat back? Whut?

It's the same position i do ~90% of my riding in. Not the position i use for break away efforts and TTing.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Power saddles on my road bike and XC hardtail here, though neither are the Sworks. Works fine for racey XC bikes, my more upright trail bike runs a Henge.

spud

by spud

I'd give serious consideration to the shape at the back edge of the saddle, for when you scoot off the back on steep drops. I've had the saddle center punch me in the lower gut when something went wrong on the drop, and if I had one of my road saddle mounted it could have ended badly. Also, I think I might want a longer nose to help guide the bike when scooting forward to keep the front wheel weighted on steep climbs.

bas

by bas

I use the power on the roadie, tried on the MTB but because that saddle is designed to get you tilting I found it put too much weight on my hands. Back to a Phenom for the MTB and it’s better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com