Specialized Epic FSR FS 2018 build Boost questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Hi Guys,

So in the process of putting together a build for the frame above but seeing that things have advanced on this boost I’ve never really had much interest in it or even know the options.
So I’m little stuck in regards the drive train mainly the chainset and Bottom Bracket.
Was wanting to run SRAM Eagle but either powermeter or Rotor power meter. Then bottom bracket states GXP which is fine but it’s a boost?? This is where I’m at a loss hoping you guys have any advise on my options or what I need as in powermeter cranks and bottom brackets
I’d like to have ceramicspeed, Chris kings or Rotor if I need to go the Rotor powermeter option.

If you can help with options or what you guys have on your builds would be appreciated too.
Wheels will be looking at either the Roval option or stick to Enve M525 with Chris Kings goaltender by centre locking as I prefer to cleaner look too

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Frameset is PF30 B.B. shell right? That means you can run any PF30 crank as long as the chainring has the correct offset for a boost space hub.

Example:

My Epic HT is boost dear with a PF30 shell. I went for Raceface Next Sl cranks with the power meter and a boost chainring. Chainline is spot on, B.B. is common and easy / cheap to find (not in ceramic speed though). Power meter is a nice unit etc.

Specialized have their new S-Works cranks and power meter too which could be another option?
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carlin

by Carlin

weeracerweenie wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:14 pm
Frameset is PF30 B.B. shell right? That means you can run any PF30 crank as long as the chainring has the correct offset for a boost space hub.

Example:

My Epic HT is boost dear with a PF30 shell. I went for Raceface Next Sl cranks with the power meter and a boost chainring. Chainline is spot on, B.B. is common and easy / cheap to find (not in ceramic speed though). Power meter is a nice unit etc.

Specialized have their new S-Works cranks and power meter too which could be another option?
Thanks I’ll have look at those, all it says on the spec from Specialized is bottom bracket GXP nothing else which is why I’m unsure about what model doesn’t give you great information in this area.

boots2000

by boots2000

I know people who are running non- Boost Quarq GXP on those bikes. Works great.

sockpuppet

by sockpuppet

The 2018 Epic models all have Threaded GXP bottom brackets.
I'm running a "non-boost" (Previous gen Sram XO with a Stages left side power meter) crankset on it with no issues. The only thing that makes a crankset "boost or non-boost" is the chainring.

Non Boost chainring offset: 6mm
Boost Chainring Offset: 3mm

Hope this clears up questions.

sockpuppet

by sockpuppet

sockpuppet wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 pm
The 2018 Epic models all have Threaded GXP bottom brackets.
Edit - The Full suspension Epics. NOT the Hardtails.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com