Squeaky lefty front wheel

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chunky666

by chunky666

Can anyone help me with my squeaky lefty front wheel?

Not strictly a MTb but my Bad Boy 2 hybrid with its rigid front fork with 650b wheel squeaks and I'm not sure where it's coming from!

I've taken the wheel off and regreased the bearings but it is still doing it.

It's definitely from the front wheel too. Is there a way of taking the securing bolt assembly out the hub to see if there is anything in there that could be causing it?

Failing that anyone got any ideas?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

When does this squeak occur? Under braking, under side to side load?

First thing would be to undo grease and retighten all the brake mount bolts (I assume this has a disc brake?) and the main lefty axle bolt
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chunky666

by chunky666

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 am
When does this squeak occur? Under braking, under side to side load?

First thing would be to undo grease and retighten all the brake mount bolts (I assume this has a disc brake?) and the main lefty axle bolt
Thanks. It's when i'm just riding along. Rate of squeak increases with speed and braking has no affect on it.

Wheel has been removed and bearings regreased and also caliper mounting bolts done.

Annoyingly it only happens maybe 50% of the time and doesnt ever seem to happen on the start of a ride. tends to start a couple of miles in but it does seem like the action of turning causes it to start. onces it's started though there is no stopping it. Braking, turning, bouncing/jarring it.

The bike is virtually brand new but bought online and shipped to me so i'm thinking i'm going to strip it front and rear and regrease absolutely everything. Hopefully that'll cure it. Failing that i'll have to suck it up and take it into someone to have a look at.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Hmm, sounds like it's hub related then. One more thing to do is make sure the hub lock ring is greased and torqued correctly (you need to use a freewheel tool to do this on most lefty hubs). Good luck, squeak/creak elimination is often a lengthy task!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Jaker

by Jaker

Check that the dust shield has a smidge of grease on it. That could be the source of your squeak.

chunky666

by chunky666

Jaker wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:33 pm
Check that the dust shield has a smidge of grease on it. That could be the source of your squeak.
Thanks will do. Going to try and have a look at it this week some time.

chunky666

by chunky666

Update- Think I cured it! Took off the hub cap once i'd discovered it was a LH thread and greased the little seal on the top of the centre allen bolt as it was completely dry. Also put a dab of grease on the actual hub cap thread too just incase.

Seems to have cured it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com