Advice on budget lightweight bike?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

flintb

by flintb

Hi all,

I'm new to this board. I've been mountain biking for several years now. I consider myself in decent shape but feel that my current trail hardtail bike is hindering me on the trails (mostly hilly XC trails). I'm currently shopping around for something lighter (say 20-23lbs) with more aggresive XC geometry. I'd rather buy something used if it means I could find something meeting my needs within budget (less than $3,000).

Would anyone be able to share some recommendations of either hardtail or FS XC bikes that might fit my needs?

Slammed

by Slammed

You're really not going to find a lot of nice, lightweight stock bikes in that price range. You might get a nice-ish frame but the rest of the componets will be very mediocre and heavy. I'd look at either a second hand or a China carbon frame then build it up. I'm almost done building an aluminium ss 29er hardtail that will be under 19 lbs for ~$2500. You just have to be patient and wait for good deals and oppirtunities to arise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flintb

by flintb

Thanks. I've been looking at used bikes and can find them in my price range. If I wanted to reduce some of the weight, is there a pecking order at which compenents should be considered for replacement? I'm guessing that wheelset would be the first? Can I ask where are you sourcing most of your parts for your build? I've thought about doing the same but wouldn't know where to get the best deals. Ebay?

Slammed

by Slammed

Wheels are probably the best way to save a lot of weight. I build all of the wheels I use which makes getting a really nice set of wheels for cheap, quite easy. I also work in a bike shop which makes getting most parts a breeze. If you live in North America, the Pinkbike classifieds are definitely the best place to buy parts. You can also use ebay, online bike shops, other classifieds, etc. It's definitely more tedious to build up a frame but you end up with such a better bike than what you could get a shop.

froze

by froze

I have to play stupid here for a bit. I'm really not sure what kind of riding you do, do you do aggressive DH riding on very technical trails? In reality unless you're doing aggressive DH stuff you really don't even need any suspension front or rear! I use to ride mountain trails in Southern California on a completely rigid bike and had no trouble keeping up with the guys that had FS MTB's, but the trails weren't all DH technical trails nor were we trying to do full out balls to wall riding either.

Fully or even just fork suspensions bikes does take some wattage away from the action to propel the bike forward, so if you'll be using the bike on the street as well that is something to consider.

Another option maybe to consider going a non suspended fat tire bike, the tires are the suspension and they work very good at doing that, plus you can ride in sand, snow, etc where a XC can't travel.

If your looking for just an XC probably the best deal new is a GT Grade alloy Expert, it comes with the Shimano 105 component package for only $1,400. If you want something with a suspension fork the Cannondale Slate should be considered. If full suspension is the direction you prefer than look at the Trek Fuel EX 5 for around $2,100, this bike is unique because it allows you to adjust the headtube angle, also you can get it in a 29 or a 27.5 plus wheel option. If the Fat Tire bike thing I mentioned is sparking a bit of interest then look at the Borealis Flume it can come with or without a front shock fork, without will cost about $2625 and with will cost another $200, and it's plumbed with SRAM Eagle GX.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

if you are in USA - Check out www.bikesdirect.com
They have some Kestrel Carbon 29ers that are well within your budget and sub 22 lbs and $2500 with SID World Cup forks !!!. If you are into Titanium, I just saw on their facebook page they have some sub 22 lbs Titanium 29ers with SRAM XO1X12 for $2799 (WTH! Right?) DT Swiss wheels (drool)
If your budget is really tight, they also have some ALU 29er hardtails that are sub 23 lbs XO1X12, SID, DT Swiss wheels for $1500 - kinda crazy but MTBR.com has rated their bikes pretty highly. Linky - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29e ... carbon29er
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29e ... htm#ti29er
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29e ... #eagle1299

At these prices it is hard to justify buying used crap with unknown wear/issues and no warranty especially on a fork

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com