What am I doing wrong

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wallstbear

by wallstbear

OK, as a new WWer, I am a bit disheartened now.

Basically I took a $4300 stock bike from one of the bigger names w/ XT/XTR, etc., upgraded a few parts here and there, and still ended up at 11.2kg. And I see you guys do 8kg Hongfu's left and right. So it is a bit tough to swallow.

My catch is this though -- I am a relatively powerful guy so I am not sure I should go near the KCNC's of the world.

Here are a few pics. The front der will come off but that won't change much. What do I have to do to get down to reasonable territory without blowing another few grand?
IMG_20180617_160659.jpg
IMG_20180617_153057.jpg
IMG_20180617_153037.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

wallstbear wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:21 am
What do I have to do to get down to reasonable territory without blowing another few grand?
How about a spreadsheet with part weights? :wink: You can start by checking mine out, maybe it will help you towards the desired direction.

Marin

by Marin

Dude you still have the spoke protector on and you come here with "make my bike lighter"?

My suggestion is to go ride, 11kg is fine for riding.

Marin

by Marin

Also, did you notice you are running 1x but you somehow forgot your left shifter, cable and front derailleur on the bike?

Ok, I fell for the trolling :(

wallstbear

by wallstbear

Already addressed this point in the original post, as I am experimenting with the 1X system so the front der will come off for sure.

Re the valve cap, thought it's orange and an interesting to match the graphics. Plus, is it even 1 gram?
Marin wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 am
Also, did you notice you are running 1x but you somehow forgot your left shifter, cable and front derailleur on the bike?

Ok, I fell for the trolling :(

wallstbear

by wallstbear

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. It's more impressive when you start off w/t a 2kg frame.
Klaster1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 am
wallstbear wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:21 am
What do I have to do to get down to reasonable territory without blowing another few grand?
How about a spreadsheet with part weights? :wink: You can start by checking mine out, maybe it will help you towards the desired direction.

silvalis

by silvalis

Those are... interesting grips...

Also wheelset. And are you still running tubes?
Chasse patate

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Pretty much every component on your bike has a lighter, just as reliable, just as string replacement.

I’d make a spreadsheet with the weight of each current component, each ideal replacement component, and the cost.

Figure out the grams saved per dollar. Hint: more is better. Hint #2: Wheels, bar, seat, stem are the easy, low hanging fruit. You can probably knock most of 1kg off the bike there. For a thousand dollars or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Basically, starting with a heavy bike and trying to make it lighter is an exercise in futility. It can be fun, but it doesn't make sense.

Either start a new build and compare weights from the start, or just upgrade functionality where needed and use lighter parts in the process. Even if you manage to save 1kg the bike won't feel much different, or be measurably faster.

Only exception: You could get a set of superlight tubeless tires for dry conditions - that will really change how the bike feels.

ignacio4s

by ignacio4s

Something on the relevance of weight...

http://www.velonews.com/2014/08/news/bi ... kes_339880

02GF74

by 02GF74

Hmm 11.2kg seems unusually heavy. Have you checked your scales.

My latest buuild, 29 in large carbon frame weighs in at 9.55 kg inc pedals.... Ofcourse it could be that my scales are wrong. No extreme ww parts but a smattering of cheap Chinese carbon and some ti, rs1 forks limit wheel choice so the wheels are not as super light.

framigoya

by framigoya

Mine is almost same frame, full xtr, fox sc and some carbon parts at 9.5kg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

circuithero

by circuithero

Those wheels are really heavy.