Bontrager Line 30 wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spud

by spud

Bikeradar has managed 3 critical failures in testing of the Line 30 wheels while riding hard through rock gardens. I've got a set on my bike, haven't exactly torture tested them, has anyone else had a failure? I suppose I'm trying to build documentation in case there comes a day where I do bust one, and Bontrager says "oh, you rode them too hard etc"

silvalis

by silvalis

Bikeradar did note this
"But Bontrager's website claims these wheels offer "Unmatched performance for enduro or trail," with "best-in-class strength and durability""
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pynchonite

by Pynchonite

This has nothing to do with your particular wheels, but that review was excellent. Very open about what they did to the wheels, how they offered Bontrager multiple chances to respond, and they look to be working with Bontrager to let them put their best foot forward. Who knows, maybe they got freakishly unlucky?

I don't really see a way forward for Bontrager with those wheels. MTBers aren't sold enough on carbon that people who are testing the waters (if $900 can be said to be that) will be willing to shell out for wheels that don't sound as durable as the aluminum wheels they already have.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have had these wheels since day 1 and no issues. No lightweight here either. I bought a second set I liked them so much.

spud

by spud

how many rides do you have on them? I've had them out twice for a total of about 5 hours saddle time, with some good rock garden action, but not the truly hairy stuff that breaks gear. But I've bent plenty of aluminum rims with 30 psi in the back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I am not sure exctly how many rides but I ride the bike at least once a week.