Best open mold Boost-29er frame out there now?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

alfus, you are from spain right?

F45

by F45

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:45 am
really?
Yup. Riding one right now. It's only 3mm each way.

I've heard of fs manufacturers approving this but never tried it on a fs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DvanW

by DvanW

InDustWeTrust wrote:And then, there is this other new open mold chinese frame in the market, already for sale at aliexpress:
HTB1usxMbAzoK1RjSZFlq6yi4VXaN.jpg
This one takes 3.0 rear tire, chainstays are 440mm instead of 430, and I notice the rear brake it's flat mount like a road frame... there are adaptors for post mount 140mm or 160mm, I assume this flat mount is for 140mm, but I´m not 100% sure of that...

I prefer the workswell, but this one it's already available and I assume the workswell will be a tiny bit more expensive.

I was thingking of buying a canyon or a santacruz, but I hate to pay so much more for just a chinese made hardtail...
Do you have a link or a shop name?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Lenovo TB-8703F met Tapatalk

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

I don't really want to advertise these sellers with a link, talk with them by aliexpress message, not the best customer service at all. But just search for 29 carbon frame boost in aliexpress and you'll get it. Other chinese sellers are much better in communication. Frame looks ok, but not much more. 10mm longer chainstays... I rather wait for the workswell or get a canyon or santacruz highball.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

F45 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:11 am
InDustWeTrust wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:45 am
really?
Yup. Riding one right now. It's only 3mm each way.

I've heard of fs manufacturers approving this but never tried it on a fs.
I would not try that, although, it's just 6mm total, 3mm on each size. A frame could easily be designed with dropouts on a central position per side, then just flex 1.5mm inwards or outwards to fit each hub size. 1.5mm lateral flex is no big deal at all. 3mm though... Done it with cheap steel frames few times but with a brand new carbon frame, better not.

F45

by F45

Do you have any rationale as to why you would not try it or are you just scared of the unknown? I've been there, done that. It's really fine.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Well, I have a 26er with a 135mm QR my dear. Done it several times with old steel bikes. Thing is, why would I want to be so damn stupid to spend between 3000 to 6000€ in a bike that I´m gonna have to flex it as if it was a 60€ second hand steel bike from the eighties? I´m stupid, but not that that stupid. No relation to scared of the unknown, just not stupid enough. Seen photos of quite a few canyon exceed cfx, broken seatstays with the stock rear hub, so go figure if you flex the chainstays to fit a boost hub there.

F45

by F45

You are looking for a open mold frame. What is all this talk about a 6000 euro bike? But if you want to make the search harder on yourself then go ahead.

Avoneer

by Avoneer

Hi,

Anyone know what fork travel either the HF or WW are optimised for?

I've got my 100mm travel SID's for XC, but unless I'm reading things wrong, most of these frames are optimised for a 120mm travel fork.

Thanks,

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

you are reading things wrong indeed.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Avoneer wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am
Hi,

Anyone know what fork travel either the HF or WW are optimised for?

I've got my 100mm travel SID's for XC, but unless I'm reading things wrong, most of these frames are optimised for a 120mm travel fork.

Thanks,
All this xc frames are built over 100mm travel forks. the rake of the fork, that's another story, most brands are now tweaking that, and will also depend of the headset behaviour you want, or taking curves behaviour, also will depend on the head angle...