Breezer Thunder One Single-Speed Mountain Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexmolavi

by alexmolavi

New to forum, feedback on getting Single speed a bit lighter. Bike I just purchased:

Breezer Thunder One Single-Speed Mountain Bike. The bike is 24.47 LBS.

So far I got the Niner RDO Carobon Fork, and per spec the tires and rims are tubeless ready. Anything else?

Below are the specs out of the box:

FRAME: Breezer D'Fusion Hydroformed Custom-Butted 6066 Aluminum, Tapered head tube, Breezer Eccentric Bottom Bracket, Breeze-In dropouts, Apex disc mount
FORK: Rock Shox Reba 29 RL, 1.5" taper steerer, 15mm MAxle, PushLoc Remote, 100mm travel
REAR SHOCK: None
HEADSET: FSA Orbit 1-1/8" - 1-1/2", Fully Integrated, 36° ACB-Sealed, 7.8mm aluminum top cover
CRANKSET: SRAM AKA 1.1G, 2-piece design, 30mm axle, 32T chainring, Crank arm lengths: 15"=170mm; 17"/18.5"/19.5"/21"=175mm
BOTTOM BRACKET: Truvativ GXP, Exterior Bearing System
SHIFTERS: None
SEATPOST: Oval Concepts 300, 3D-Forged 6061 aluminum, 27.2mm
LEVERS: Decipher hydraulic disc
FRONT DERAILLEUR: None
HANDLEBAR: Oval Concepts 250, 6061 aluminum, 31.8mm diameter, 710mm wide (all frame sizes), +/- 5mm rise, 9-degree sweep
STEM: Oval Concepts 313, 3D-Forged 6061 aluminum, 31.8mm clamp, 7-degree/83-degree rise, Lengths: 15"/17"=90mm; 18.5"/19.5"=100mm; 21"=110mm
REAR DERAILLEUR: None
CASSETTE: Breezer heat-treated chromoly cassette sprocket, Flip-flop, 18T
BRAKES: Decipher hydraulic disc, 180mm front rotor/160mm rear rotor
WHEELSET: Rim: 29" WTB ST i19 TCS (tubeless-ready); Hubs: Breezer 15mm thru-axle, 32H, 6-bolt front/Breezer Single-Speed Cassette, 32H, 6-bolt rear Breezer 15mm Thru-Axle 32H 6-Bolt Front/Breezer Single-Speed Cassette 32H,
TIRES: WTB Nano 29x2.1" TCS (tubeless-ready)
PEDALS: Not included
SADDLE: WTB Volt, Satin steel rails
CHAIN: SRAM PC-1
GRIPS/TAPE: Breezer Silicone Race Grips

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

What's you budget? Depending on how much you want to save (both weight and money), the direction of build might vary by a lot. Basically, you can drop weight from almost every item in your list and then some. I'm tempted to list a bunch of options, but instead I encourage you to sift through threads in gallery and MTB subforums and see for yourself what other members do. And don't forget to make a spreadsheet with part weights, it's such a handy tool!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pynchonite

by Pynchonite

Cheapest and easiest thing off the bat would be the chain. The PC-1 is super heavy. If the crankset and SS cogs can handle a normal 3/32" chain, then switching even to an eight speed chain would save you some weight. Tires and seatpost would be other fairly inexpensive places to drop weight.

alexmolavi

by alexmolavi

Thank you for the reply. I did go through some, but going to spend most of the day tomorrow to look at the details of it.

Budget is $500-750 more. I have already got Race Face Chester Platform Pedals which are 12 Ounces. I think the Niner Boost RDO Carbon are around 545 Grams, which is a litte over 2.2 LBS less than the Rock Shox Reba 29 RL fork. The saddle on the bike is heavy WTB Volt, Satin steel rails at about 316 Grams, so I ordered Ghost Carbon Bike Saddle at 155 Grams.

Going tubless is probably gonna save another 290 grams. Looking at handle bars and seat tube, stem now.....

Klaster1 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:47 am
What's you budget? Depending on how much you want to save (both weight and money), the direction of build might vary by a lot. Basically, you can drop weight from almost every item in your list and then some. I'm tempted to list a bunch of options, but instead I encourage you to sift through threads in gallery and MTB subforums and see for yourself what other members do. And don't forget to make a spreadsheet with part weights, it's such a handy tool!

alexmolavi

by alexmolavi

Ok, I will look into the chain. Seatpost is next on my list. Tires? Aren't the current tires pretty good and can go tubelss on them....

Thank you for the reply.

Alex

Pynchonite wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:11 am
Cheapest and easiest thing off the bat would be the chain. The PC-1 is super heavy. If the crankset and SS cogs can handle a normal 3/32" chain, then switching even to an eight speed chain would save you some weight. Tires and seatpost would be other fairly inexpensive places to drop weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Change tyres, go tubeless, use an 8 speed chain eBay carbon seat post and saddle, eBay carbon bars and the weight will fall off.