Open one+

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Thoughts about this frame? Anyone here riding one?

I'm considering building one up at my local shop. As is typical, most reviews are glowing aside from the steep price. It's a shame there aren't any stock build that one could test ride, so you basically have to build one up without riding it first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

A buddy of mine had a crack develop in his- JRA, never crashed or shipped.
Open denied him a warranty replacement.

moyboy

by moyboy

I had one but never built it up. Found it too pricey too.

Stopgo

by Stopgo

Yeah, mine cracked (as Boots mentioned) and they had no interest in making things right. Couldn’t have been a worse experience. Furthermore, the claimed 2.4 inch clearance is BS. I ran an Ikon 2.35 and had to drop down to a 2.2 to be confident in clearance. My buddy with an UP had the same issue. He talked with Open and they claimed it was wheel flex and not an issue on their part. Dude is 145lbs and was running non WW gravel wheels.

All in all, as cool as the brand and bikes “seem,” I wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole. Any brand who doesn’t stand by their product and holds any product issue as “operator error” wont be around for long and is quite a character tell. Major buyer beware.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Well I appreciate the feedback. Especially the note on tire clearance as I was planning a setup with 2.4 tires.

Any other hardtail frames I should consider? Ideally it would have clearance for a 2.35 rear tire. I’ve been considering a Niner Air 9 rdo, but can’t find any info on tire clearance. The trails I ride here in northern Utah are fairly well maintained.

Part of me wants to say screw carbon and build a nice titanium hardtail, but damn it those aren’t more expensive and a little behind in their geometry.

Stopgo

by Stopgo

The new Santa Cruz Highball looks pretty nice—worth a look.

That said, I went the Ti route. Custom frame from Built (builder behind Eriksen), should be landing shortly!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

71.4 degree HTA with a 100mm fork?

2006 called, wants its geometry back. What in the world are they thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Stopgo wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 am
Yeah, mine cracked (as Boots mentioned) and they had no interest in making things right. Couldn’t have been a worse experience. Furthermore, the claimed 2.4 inch clearance is BS. I ran an Ikon 2.35 and had to drop down to a 2.2 to be confident in clearance. My buddy with an UP had the same issue. He talked with Open and they claimed it was wheel flex and not an issue on their part. Dude is 145lbs and was running non WW gravel wheels.

All in all, as cool as the brand and bikes “seem,” I wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole. Any brand who doesn’t stand by their product and holds any product issue as “operator error” wont be around for long and is quite a character tell. Major buyer beware.
What kind of crack did you have on your frame?

Yeah, i also find tire clearance is under what is claimed.
Perhaps Opens clearances is based on non wide rims.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Stopgo

by Stopgo

It cracked on the seat stay. No signs of trauma, and the bike only had 3 months of fire road riding. BTW: I’m a husky 147 lbs...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Did any serious jumps on this bike?
I could imagine that would be a reason for this crack.

I did some small jumps (Open UP bike) riding a descent on my route, Trace 22 rims (28 spokes) went seriously uneven using bike less than 10 routes (rear wheel).
(Wheel bumped both right and left chainstay)
At the time i was around 80Kgs
Have been riding the UP pretty hard and crashed seriously (while cornering) when a tire burped (air went out in a second)
Same rims, but front wheel.
Have had 1 more crash, but the frame has zero damage except the paint.
Only bikes i have heard of, cracking, is Exploro LTD.

I also managed to totally crumble a lower brearing when i rode a stiff fork.
When i pulled it out, it just fell apart.
When on Lauf Grit, i have had no problems.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

Stopgo wrote:It cracked on the seat stay. No signs of trauma, and the bike only had 3 months of fire road riding. BTW: I’m a husky 147 lbs...
How long ago did you buy it? I'd contact them again and tell them they need to warranty it otherwise you'll issue a credit card charge back.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Any frame with that weight can crack easily, and any brand can refuse warranty replacement. Now, if tha'ts their behavior for a 3200€ frame, I would definitely look further.
Canyon Exceed SLX frame same problem.... check trustpilot canyon reviews from customers. I´m in he market for a decent frame to put the new shimano 1x12 on it. So far it's gonna be a chinese open mold, but open to real decent alternatives... Canyon regular Exceed SL it's decent, no spare frame though, no boost rear...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

https://www.production-privee.com/en/product/shan-gt/

No they aren't particularly light but ther are an absolute blast to ride :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

mashiehood

by mashiehood

well i have now had my Open One+ frame for almost two years and its an absolute pleasure to ride. The optionality of plus of 29er is great .
on warranty to share my experience - prior to owning the One + i had the Open 1.0 which i trashed by dropping my workstand on it, Open didnt have to do anything but when i wrote to them pleading poverty they gave me a small discount on the replacement and it arrived 5 days later. Amazing service and could not be happier.
I dont doubt the validity of the OP post and cracking but remeber this is a XC rig and not a enduro rig

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Lookryder wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm
Any other hardtail frames I should consider? Ideally it would have clearance for a 2.35 rear tire.
With more than (true) 2.3in tires, you're running into territory where you won't be able to fit a tire, chain stay and a *road* crank at the same time.