Syncros Silverton

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

You build lighter wheels for a lot less money...Extralight hubs, Sapim Laser spokes, alloy nipples and Light-Bicycles 24-hole Flyweight rims should work out to about 1100 grams. (Admittedly, those rims are 22 mm wide between the beads, while the Syncros rims are 26mm wide).

From the Bike Rumor link:
Tyler Benedict wrote:That means instant acceleration not just because it’s super light, but because there’s no torsional flex wasting your valuable energy.
This made me gag even more than I usually do when I read Bike Rumor. Your "valuable energy" isn't being wasted by torsional "flex" no matter what wheels you ride. Torsional strain in wheels isn't sucking up anyone's watts. It's just not a thing. Bicycle wheels are incredibly stiff structures in torsion...bicycle wheel "windup" is not something you could ever, ever feel.

Can you tell that I hate-read BR?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Also, it's a scary enough proposition riding carbon spoked wheels in group rides because one little mishap and your wheels are trashed, isn't that even more of a concern in MTB? Not to mention, I doubt you're seeing a difference in ride quality with fat MTB tires.

FreaK

by FreaK

Apparently ride quality is fairly perceptible. Singletrack recently did a group test of all-mountain/enduro level carbon rimmed wheels and found some real notable differences. It's slightly less "comfort" related, but tracking through rough sections, and the sensation of vibration are most feeelable even with chunky 2.6" wide rubber.
They haven't mentioned repairability.
These do look like a more integrated structure than Lightweights (or Ada, remember those?) so repairability might be minimal???
But they mentioned impact resistance a couple times and that is somewhat more relevant.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Impact loads aren't as much of a factor as it might first seem. A stick in the spokes isn't really an impact load to those wheels...it's bending in a way that add tension to the spoke. That's not very hard for a unidirectional carbon spoke to handle.

Pynchonite

by Pynchonite

My question is whether these would stay true without being able to, you know, true them. While carbon is surprisingly resilient, if these are a single piece all the way around, it seems like the inability to perform basic maintenance on them makes them almost disposable. Which would be more infuriating than anything and, should it be the case, will probably spark some kind of revolution.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

RyanH wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:45 am
Also, it's a scary enough proposition riding carbon spoked wheels in group rides because one little mishap and your wheels are trashed, isn't that even more of a concern in MTB? Not to mention, I doubt you're seeing a difference in ride quality with fat MTB tires.
Not really.

The last time I broke a spoke on an MTB ride/race was in 2013. I'm not tiptoeing through the tulips here, either. Don't race as much as I used to, but I've been in the top quarter to half of every pro/open XC race I've done in the last 3 years.

And, yes, you can definitely feel a difference in ride quality between wheels. My old Enve XCs, for whatever reason, were simply not comfortable to ride. Layup? Rim profile? My 26mm ID Nox Teocallis, built on the same type of hubs and spokes (240s + CX-Rays) at the same tension, and running the same tires at the same pressure, feel much, much better.

FreaK

by FreaK

youngs_modulus wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 am
Impact loads aren't as much of a factor as it might first seem. A stick in the spokes isn't really an impact load to those wheels...it's bending in a way that add tension to the spoke. That's not very hard for a unidirectional carbon spoke to handle.
Maybe in terms of spoke impacts, but as a wheel on a mountain bike, rim impacts are the defining test of a wheel's durability
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

wingguy

by wingguy

Pynchonite wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:49 am
My question is whether these would stay true without being able to, you know, true them. While carbon is surprisingly resilient, if these are a single piece all the way around, it seems like the inability to perform basic maintenance on them makes them almost disposable.
But as a single piece of carbon, how would they go out of true? How would spoke tension become uneven? What would cause them to change from the way they came out of the mold?

They just aren't gong to work like that.

Pynchonite

by Pynchonite

The spokes can't unthread, true. Just blows my mind. It's hard for me to accept that the the spokes couldn't come out of tension somehow. I want to say something about different impacts and uneven forces applied to the rim and thus to the spokes but I would just be speaking out of my rectal sphincter.

scant

by scant

youngs_modulus wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:58 am
You build lighter wheels for a lot less money...Extralight hubs, Sapim Laser spokes, alloy nipples and Light-Bicycles 24-hole Flyweight rims should work out to about 1100 grams. (Admittedly, those rims are 22 mm wide between the beads, while the Syncros rims are 26mm wide).
I totally agree. when you can buy lighter, more repairable/serviceable wheels for less money,

LeDuke

by LeDuke

scant wrote:
youngs_modulus wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:58 am
I totally agree. when you can buy lighter, more repairable/serviceable wheels for less money,
I’ll add: you can buy 3 sets of lighter, more serviceable/repairable wheels for less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbo

by mtbo

So it seems the one piece carbon Silverton wheel design has disappeared from the Syncros site. The range topping SCOTT Spark RC 900 SL model (that used to use them) that I'm interested in, now comes with SILVERTON 1.0 wheels that have a traditional spoked design, but what's with the (claimed ) weight of 1750g! Where's the uber-lightweight spec gone? Has anyone seen an actualy weight for them - https://www.syncros.com/au/en/product/s ... 0-wheelset

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if no-one bought them.

Personally I think they're cool as hell, but a full carbon MTB wheel is a really tough sell these days. Without any sales it'd be an expensive line for Scott to keep running just as a vanity project.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cula_ru

by cula_ru

So is anyone riding the Syncros Silverton SL wheelset? Can't find any real user's reviews on the forums.
How do the wheels hold up on the long term?
Damage resistance?
Other problems?

I'm thinking about getting them with the new scott spark.