Xtr Di2 /Dura-Ace SW-R9150 shift switch

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Onandon

by Onandon

Hello all.

I havent been on the site for years so good to see it’s still alive and doing well.

I have a question which I’m struggling to find answers to.

I really don’t like the xtr shifter so tried an R600.it was better, but not perfect.
To my point - can I use the Di2 Dura-Ace SW-R9150 shift switchs on their own. Ideally one on each side like e-tap.

Will this work ?

Thanks

motorapido

by motorapido

Hi there,

Unfortunately no that won't work, the SW-R9150's are just dumb switches, hence the modified connector plug on them, you need the electronics module like the one in the R600 for it to work, your other option would be the Alfine shifter. It looks a bit clunky but can be remounted to get a better position,
You could gut an R600 unit open up the electronics and solder the wires from the SW-R9150 shifter switches onto the switch contact pads. You could then have your desired e-tap style switch setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Onandon

by Onandon

Not the news I wanted but thanks for the clarification.

I did think about gutting the r600 but ultimately I’m not really getting along with Di2 go may just ditch it all and go to eagle.

I say this as a life long gripshift user so any thumb under bar shifting just feels odd.

motorapido

by motorapido

Ahh,

well why not gut a gripshifter and do the same thing with some small momentary switches, and R600 electronics. Twist one way to shift up the other to shift down,

or there is this shifter which would meet your needs,

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/04/25/zi ... ic-shifts/

Onandon

by Onandon

I spoke with the guys about their shifter. Unfortunately you need to use their bars as they have holes cut in them. They don’t make a flat bar with the sweep I like.

As a side note. Their system doesn’t work as a real gripshift. You need to left your thumb above and below the bar to make the shift.

I thought about building a shifter but lack of time and skills mean I’m looking at OEM options first, or ditching and going to sram.

motorapido

by motorapido

Not ideal then, if you PM me and let me know which SRAM shifter your using i might be able to design something for you. i've done quite a few modded shifters with Di2 in SRAM systems, mostly road stuff but it should be pretty easy.

ooo

by ooo

Onandon wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 am
To my point - can I use the Di2 Dura-Ace SW-R9150 shift switchs on their own. Ideally one on each side like e-tap.

Will this work ?
Yes, it will work. E-tube project version 3.3.2 or less allow this setup.
motorapido wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 am
Unfortunately no that won't work, the SW-R9150's are just dumb switches, hence the modified connector plug on them,
No, they are not dumb. You confuse them with old satellite shifters SW-R610. SW-R9150 have standard e-tube connector.
'

Onandon

by Onandon

Ok, we have 1 yes and 1 no.

Has anyone done this and know 100% if it works ?

ms6073

by ms6073

motorapido wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 am
Unfortunately no that won't work, the SW-R9150's are just dumb switches, hence the modified connector plug on them,
Seems like we may be confusing the SW-R610 Sprint shifters with the SW-R9150 climbing shifters. The climbing shifters do not have a modified connector, thus can be plugged into any standard Di2 connection port whether it be the junction a or a spare port on a road shifter. While I have not run this on the run, when I installed the climbing switches on my road bike, after upgrading the climbing shifter firmware, I un-plugged the ST-R9170 shifters and tested the climbing switches plugged into the junction A as stand-alone shifters with no issues.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

motorapido

by motorapido

I stand corrected, yepp was getting mixed up with the older shifters and connector,
still not 100% certain it would work if they are the only shifters in the system, but it would be worth a try.

might experiment with the Gripshift idea,

boots2000

by boots2000

Try one of these-
https://k-edge.com/shop/accessories/k-edge-pod-shifter/

I know someone who has one- It works great. Arguably better than the XTR DI2 shifter.
I have the same climbing shifter on my orad and cross bike- I like the function. I would not hesitate to put this on a DI2 mtb.

Onandon

by Onandon

That is basically an R600 shifter unit with a huge mount.

LAN

by LAN

I got this setup:

SW-R9150
RD-M8050
SM-EW90

Works 100%

Onandon

by Onandon

Great. Thank you.
I guess it won’t matter that I’ll be using the xtr display rather than the junction box.

boots2000

by boots2000

In reality it is not huge- I have had my hands on one.
It is an R600- but with a bracket that mounts well on mtb bars.

You could use road junction box with this if you desired.

Onandon wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 am
That is basically an R600 shifter unit with a huge mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com