Record breaking!7.19kg 29er full suspension bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

SRICarbonWorks wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:31 pm
.......Rotor: Alpha (38gX2)
Has it actual;ly been rideen with these ?

Reports that I have seen in a few places seem to indicate that these don't really function well as brakes ... :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roseyscot

by roseyscot

I stared a little too long at the pictures and I could hear the carbon cracking over the internet!

02GF74

by 02GF74

02GF74 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:38 am
The later si scalpel frames are lighter still, nevertheless that is quite an achievement, from memory mine after some tweaking is in region of 10.5 kg.
Now down to 10.36 kg after changing xt brakes to xtr and xtr shifter/mech. Brakes changed primarily due to amount of lever travel on xt, xtr better but still not as good as sram level, I do like my brakes to be set up with little travel prior to engaging.

alber84

by alber84

beautiful, but obviously for a cyclist of no more than 70kgs ....

sqber

by sqber

Too deep pockets plus too much time equals a bike that is practically unrideable (if only because it is so expensive to brake something ... like the rider when some flimsy part cracks). You can shave some grams by draining rhe oil from your brakes - visually it wouldn't change anything.

TheRich

by TheRich

I'm sure it would be a great gravel bike

Moyo

by Moyo

a great project and bike. A compliment to this point. I myself am weightweenie and share the lightweight passion. Have a custom scott scale hardtail 29" with 5.9kg and also drive the clavicula dp with octa one chainring or the maxxlites with tubolito.
Only I think, as uncompromising as you were in the selection of the components to get every gram, so compromising you will have to use the bike.
A fully must be able to tolerate a few terrains can at least sniff a mountain and tolerate a little rough. I am afraid that you have built a gravel bike with suspension.
the choice of components and the stiffness make it rather difficult to use on trails, at least you will not have fun there, in my opinion. You can not drive more than asphalt with the maxxlites. got mounted with thunder burts and on the first easy downhill ride on gravel I got scared. the tires (and the thunder burts have more profile like the maxxis) have hardly any grip, the bike is going downhill on loose ground or gravel unpredictable and difficult to act in case of sudden braking, especially by the forward facing seat position.
in short, find your project very cool, but the danger resonates very much, more than with a conventional mtb. Here are two pictures of my hardtail, 5,950g with the maxxlites and 6,170g with the burts. Oh yes, both the maxxlite and the thunderburt I crashed on the first departure on gravel. Both of them ripped the carcass. So I switched to conti race king
413BD936-4B19-464A-A64D-19909B968334.jpeg
Attachments
41E06BA2-E411-4755-98E7-035AEFBE583B.jpeg

cmunozh

by cmunozh

Moyo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:13 pm
a great project and bike. A compliment to this point. I myself am weightweenie and share the lightweight passion. Have a custom scott scale hardtail 29" with 5.9kg and also drive the clavicula dp with octa one chainring or the maxxlites with tubolito.
Only I think, as uncompromising as you were in the selection of the components to get every gram, so compromising you will have to use the bike.
A fully must be able to tolerate a few terrains can at least sniff a mountain and tolerate a little rough. I am afraid that you have built a gravel bike with suspension.
the choice of components and the stiffness make it rather difficult to use on trails, at least you will not have fun there, in my opinion. You can not drive more than asphalt with the maxxlites. got mounted with thunder burts and on the first easy downhill ride on gravel I got scared. the tires (and the thunder burts have more profile like the maxxis) have hardly any grip, the bike is going downhill on loose ground or gravel unpredictable and difficult to act in case of sudden braking, especially by the forward facing seat position.
in short, find your project very cool, but the danger resonates very much, more than with a conventional mtb. Here are two pictures of my hardtail, 5,950g with the maxxlites and 6,170g with the burts. Oh yes, both the maxxlite and the thunderburt I crashed on the first departure on gravel. Both of them ripped the carcass. So I switched to conti race king
+1

I was driving this summer a super light Cube hardtail in Croatia, uphill was a rocket (I got some KOMs even) but in downhill I had to go with pretty carefull as it hasn't grip enought to take the curves porpertly.
My garage: Caad12, BRT C0, Cannondale Scalpel SE II, Specialized Epic pro '92, Swiss military bike '45, Orbea Gredos '87, Specialized Langster '12, Caadx '15...

F45

by F45

Agree that with those tires it's just not a mountain bike. What does it weigh with Rocket Rons? Also with the real cassette.

BmanX

by BmanX

I disagree with the comments on the tires. I have been able to ride these tires and live on the wetcoast of Canada. Is there better tires out there by all means yes but it really depends on where you are riding and what you are riding. If you are building the lightest bike, then they are the go to tires and if the rider can ride them, they are fine. This is WW people.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

JCrider

by JCrider

THis bike is way too dangerous to ride on a real XC MTB trail. I still remember when I put on some 355g Maxxis tires on my ellsworth truth 15 years ago. Double snakebite flat front and back tire sae time after a 1/4 mile downhill on a fire road with some small rocks. This is before stans etc. Lesson learned.

If goal is to make it lite as possible to showcase it in a museum that is a different matter. I would be scared to ride this even on a paved road.

kococchi

by kococchi

Hello, wonderful bike! Can you tell me something about the Arcos A-GE derailleur? what kind of cables are these? I have standard black...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

What an amazing project! Weight is crazy.

Did you consider running the Maxxlite tires tubeless? I didn't have much trouble getting mine to seal. I suppose you could remove the sealant afterwards.

If you can change to the rear derailleur to 10 speed, you could go with an ever lighter cassette. I have a SRAM XX1 10-speed and shifting is really good. Even by modern standards.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

JCrider wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:26 am
THis bike is way too dangerous to ride on a real XC MTB trail. I still remember when I put on some 355g Maxxis tires on my ellsworth truth 15 years ago. Double snakebite flat front and back tire sae time after a 1/4 mile downhill on a fire road with some small rocks. This is before stans etc. Lesson learned.

If goal is to make it lite as possible to showcase it in a museum that is a different matter. I would be scared to ride this even on a paved road.
I rode mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The track was mostly wet grass and mud. Much to my suprise they performed quite well. Super smooth and grips wasn't that bad.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Disposable rotors?
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com