Looking for a 26" rigid fork.....

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

marcocolo99

by marcocolo99

Putting together a light gravel bike with my 2010 Scott Scale frame and I'd like to find the lightest good rigid fork I can find. I'd guess the geometry is such that an approximately 18" (450-460mm) from center of dropouts to bottom of steerer tube is about right? Want disc brake and "normal" dropouts for the wheels. Any suggestions?
I know of the Trigon at about 580ish grams but anything lighter than that?
Thanks!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

1. Whether you need a straight steerer or tapered, be sure that the dropouts are oriented straight down, or forward with disc use. Lots of cheap forks have the dropout openings angled back, and that is the worst configuration with the forces of disc brakes - because with the rotor clamped, the wheel tends to want to dislodge in that exact backward direction.

2. Axle-to-crown, as well as rake, are critical. If the purpose of replacement is to gain wider tire clearance, then you'd have to also figure in the larger circumference of that bigger tire on the handling. Start with the stock fork's axle-to-crown, and don't stray too far from that.

3. I bought the Trigon 26er myself for my "do it all" monstercross bike, as in addition to 700 x whatever tire sizes, I run a 27.5 x 2.25 Rocket Ron (front + rear) for the worst conditions. So the Trigon I bought has a carbon steerer and 415mm axle-to-crown (as opposed to the stock 420mm) to compensate for that larger tire. And since the head angle on this frame was 71 degrees, the new fork with 5mm less A-C actually improved the steering with the slightly lower 700c tires.

So shop carefully. There are lots of 26" disc forks to choose from, from either dealers or on eBay, but ask those sellers exactly what the A-C and rake are, because they typically don't state.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Also it sounds like your '10 Scale was a 29er? What was the original axle-to-crown of the 29er fork?

marcocolo99

by marcocolo99

No, sorry, it's a 26". Axle to crown I guessed. A DT Swiss 26er fork I have is about 18" unloaded so maybe 17"ish (435mm) loaded.