Eagle eTap

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

commendatore

by commendatore

Well the shifter is a bit boxier than I hoped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

nice photos... so much press over a rear derailleur! hahah

spud

by spud

derailleur looks very strange to me - it's not a slant parallelogram design, and the arms themselves seem a little short to swing across 12 cogs. I'm sure they have developed this logically and I don't know the finer points of derailleur design, but this reminds me of an ancient Dura Ace model, before they adopted slant design.

moyboy

by moyboy

Probably to help with leverage to maximize the power motor.
spud wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 pm
derailleur looks very strange to me - it's not a slant parallelogram design, and the arms themselves seem a little short to swing across 12 cogs. I'm sure they have developed this logically and I don't know the finer points of derailleur design, but this reminds me of an ancient Dura Ace model, before they adopted slant design.

Slack

by Slack

None of Sram's X1 clutched mechs use a slant parallelogram they're all straight.

spud wrote:

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

spud wrote:
You haven't seen a Sram MTB 1x11 or 1x12 derailleur? Cuz they look the same as this and have been around for 5 years. It's called X-Horizon.

spud

by spud

^ Haha, I have one on a new bike and haven't even looked at it closely enough to notice!

wingguy

by wingguy

spud wrote:
derailleur looks very strange to me - it's not a slant parallelogram design,
Yup, exactly the same as every other SRAM 1x11 or 1x12 mech :wink:

The reasoning behind it was explained way back in 2012 when XX1 was released.

Jensa

by Jensa

commendatore wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:44 am
Well the shifter is a bit boxier than I hoped.
according to patent paper bikerumor had on the sait some time ago, there could be three different sort of shifter, and that was the biggest of the thre, but it can also be that its not finalized considering that the mechanics was fast to unmount the shifter

TimmS

by TimmS

Most important question; will it be compatible with road shifters?

Any leads to when the newgroup will be officially announced?

jlok

by jlok

would be silly not to support and software upgrade HRD shifters and miss the Gravel Bike market.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

moyboy

by moyboy

That would be awesome to have HRD shifters also work with that.

cassard

by cassard

I'm not a programmer or anything, but the way I see it, is either it's going to be compatible with the road shifters for bigger cassette and SRAM could simply offer a firmware update for the road etap derailleur for 12 speed in the future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

cassard wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:01 pm
I'm not a programmer or anything, but the way I see it, is either it's going to be compatible with the road shifters for bigger cassette and SRAM could simply offer a firmware update for the road etap derailleur for 12 speed in the future.
Well, where does the "brain" reside in etap? With Di2 it's in the battery. I suspect it's in the derailleurs with etap in which case the shifter doesn't know if it's operating 11 or 12 speed or which derailleur it's commanding. It's just sending a signal to the derailleur to go up or down. So what I'm saying is this derailleur should work with 11spd road shifters unless Sram specifically made it so they won't get along. I don't think they'd do that.