Eagle eTap

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:57 am
cassard wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:01 pm
I'm not a programmer or anything, but the way I see it, is either it's going to be compatible with the road shifters for bigger cassette and SRAM could simply offer a firmware update for the road etap derailleur for 12 speed in the future.
Well, where does the "brain" reside in etap? With Di2 it's in the battery. I suspect it's in the derailleurs with etap in which case the shifter doesn't know if it's operating 11 or 12 speed or which derailleur it's commanding. It's just sending a signal to the derailleur to go up or down. So what I'm saying is this derailleur should work with 11spd road shifters unless Sram specifically made it so they won't get along. I don't think they'd do that.
Same is not so easy, to move from 11 to 12 the limitation will be in the engine of change, will not be a thing of firmware.........

martijnv4

by martijnv4

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:57 am
cassard wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:01 pm
I'm not a programmer or anything, but the way I see it, is either it's going to be compatible with the road shifters for bigger cassette and SRAM could simply offer a firmware update for the road etap derailleur for 12 speed in the future.
Well, where does the "brain" reside in etap? With Di2 it's in the battery. I suspect it's in the derailleurs with etap in which case the shifter doesn't know if it's operating 11 or 12 speed or which derailleur it's commanding. It's just sending a signal to the derailleur to go up or down. So what I'm saying is this derailleur should work with 11spd road shifters unless Sram specifically made it so they won't get along. I don't think they'd do that.
The rear deailleur is acting as master in an etap setup, my guess is that the rear derailleur is where the brain resides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Datmo

by Datmo

I don’t expect the “Eagle eTAP” derailleur to be compatible with road shifters any time soon because I’m sure SRAM would like to release SRAM Force eTAP first.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Yesterday, Nino out......Eagle eTap fail??
nino.jpg

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

The chain seems to be on so my guess would be that RD is dead
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

zgxtreme

by zgxtreme

Looks like Anton is running it at MSA this weekend in addition to Nino. Then of course there’s the “eTap” Reverb that Emily is running.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

Any body Heard more about the new 12 speed Force Etap?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I was surprised to not see Eagle Etap released at Interbike. They must have run into some issues to show it in public at the beginning of summer but still not be ready to announce a release date.

jlok

by jlok

CX bikes to get the 1x12 eTap before anything else?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ooo

by ooo

jlok, there are too many 12s freehub body designs and Sram wants compatibility with "12s road wheels for shimano"
It's risky ($$) to produce 12s CX cassette for one 12s freehub body design, before making final decision about 12s ROAD freehub body design
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153264

this is not a problem for 12s etap eagle, of course
'

joeg26er

by joeg26er

That is surprising they have not launched Eagle eTap yet. Probably due to lack of sales of XX top group?

Or have people reported seeing Anton and Nino having issues with their off road set ups?

jlok

by jlok

ok... so it's basically more than 1 year from now before we could see retail channel available with new 2x12 etap as SRAM need to catch up with cassette design for new road 12x free hub body proposed by Shimano.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

damond

by damond

They're facing some problems with the eagle etap because it seems the clutch system of the derraileur requires too much energy and therefore the battery lifetime is really low!

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Makes sense but I wonder why Shimano has no problem pairing a clutch with Di2. Refresh my memory, did Nino race a couple WCs on etap until that start line failure and then use mechanical shifting for the resf of the season? Maybe there's problems besides battery life.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

[] <— eTap Battery.

[ <- Shimano - Battery -> ]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com