Rockshox RS1 forks

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

Anyone own a bike with rockshox rs 1 forks?

What s the scoop, better than standard forks, lighter? Stiffer?

Having stanchions lower down are they susceptible to more wear due to mud on them?

How about the hubs, does it limit wheel choice?

Any other info. appreciated

PS Is anybody else unable to post (submit button does not respond) from android smart phone when viewing the forum in a chrome browser?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

I've got one on my full-suspension XC bike, paired with RS Monarch rear shock. Both are controlled with a single Xloc remote on the handlebars. It's 100mm travel front and rear.

I think the RS-1 is pretty good for absorbing small bumps, so it's easy on hands when moving fast on uneven terrain. Also, for climbing I find it quite good. Going downhill is where probably user settings become very important (right pressure and return speed). I am not a good descender and do not feel very comfortable going down hill with larger bumps. Going between rocks and roots, things become very tricky quickly and this is also where it feels that the fork is not so stiff moving from side to side. It seems plenty stiff in forward-backward direction, no complaints, but side to side has a flexy feeling in there. Bear in mind, however, my mountainbiking experience is rather limited, so take this with a grain of salt.

Hub is proprietary, called predictive steering. Take a look at bike24.com wheel selection using filtering by hub, you'll see what assortiment they have.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i have one on my Scott Scale 700 SL.

the biggest plus for me is the lock out actually means lock out and not adjusting the damper. the lock button is hydraulic tho, so it needs abit more force to be pressed.

my understanding of predictive steering, and i could be wrong, is an early implementation of Boost spacing 110mm with rock shox larger torque cap. the back end of my bike is DT swiss 240s, i dont feel the hub is particularly lagging in terms of quality. (I also have DT swiss 1501 on my other bike and i dont think it's better or worse).

you can use non-PS hub, but just be mindful and don't push your luck. i do plenty of gravel mileage without any drops with my other non-PS wheel, no problem so far.

the worst part of the RS-1 for me is the fact that the legs are not linked, so once you pull off the axle, they spin around then go up and down independently. This sometimes makes it very difficult to put the wheel back on (it doesn't align properly).

EDIT: i assume you are talkign about the recent/modern RS1 not the first gen ones?
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

02GF74

by 02GF74

Well I bit the bullet and built a ktm myroon 29 with rs1 forks, 9.55 kg for large frame. Ridden it about 4 times and cannot say I feel any flex, seems to perform as good as rockshox sid, reba and fox forks, although I do find fox forks are smoother.

Things to be aware of is lowers, being independent makes for slightly trickier wheel fitting, also brake hose routing to avoid contact with the spokes and rub on the crown.

Also wheel choice for predictive steering hub is extremely limited.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Stifness/weight/price ratio is the worst ever in mtb history. Beaten in any aspect you might think of by other models from the same company.

It only wins in aesthetics.